SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Custom Molded Backrest

• Custom Molded Backrest

Posted by deann-r on September 25, 2020 at 11:00 am

Like Brianna I’m in the new wheelchair process as well.  Although I’m dreading the adjustment period, I’m hopeful it will be more supportive and comfortable with the added features.  Yesterday I had my backrest mold made from the comfort of my own home!  Wish I would’ve gotten it on video, but of course I didn’t.  Anyway, they took off my backrest and put what I equate to a beanbag behind me.  Once it was conformed to my back a pump sucked out all the air to make it hard.  After a couple tries we got it just right.  Then it was scanned by an app and will be turned into a backrest specific to my wonky body.  How cool is that!  Have you done anything like that for your chairs?

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • alyssa-silva

September 25, 2020 at 11:08 am

Yes, I’ve gone through that exact process as well! Call me spoiled, but I will never get anything but a custom-molded seat from now on. In fact, I got a new wheelchair in December and BEGGED my PT to let me bring my old custom seat to my new chair. It fits like a glove, and I didn’t feel the need to make any changes. I love it.