SMA News Forums Forums Our Community 31 Days of SMA 2021 31 Days of SMA 2022 Day 16 of #31DaysofSMA: Why I Am Proud to Be Disabled

• Day 16 of #31DaysofSMA: Why I Am Proud to Be Disabled

Posted by kevin-schaefer on August 17, 2022 at 9:00 am

Carli Lynne Hamilton was diagnosed with SMA at the age of two. Like many others at the time, her parents weren’t given much hope. And growing up, Carli struggled to accept her disability as a part of her identity.

As things changed and she embraced her life, she also came to embrace her disability. She’s now a wife and mother, and she takes pride in living with SMA. Click here to read the full story.

Here’s an excerpt, “I used to have a somewhat negative view of life with SMA and a disability. But I’ve been able to see that life truly is beautiful, especially with SMA. It makes those sweet moments that much sweeter. I am Carli, and I am proud to be disabled!”

Do you have any takeaways from Carli’s story?

SMA News Today’s 31 Days of SMA campaign will publish one story per day for SMA Awareness Month in August. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #31DaysofSMA, or read the full series.

deann-r replied 1 year, 8 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • deann-r

August 17, 2022 at 10:09 pm

I think there’s always ups and downs when it comes to accepting your disability. It’s awesome to see SMA folks and their family structures. I never would have fathomed having a family at that age. I’m glad to see others breaking those barriers.

• alyssa-silva

August 18, 2022 at 5:35 pm

I love the personal growth here and am glad she is in a more accepting place with her disability. Carli is great! We’re connected on Instagram and I love seeing pics of her family.

• adam

August 20, 2022 at 4:35 am

“I used to have a somewhat negative view of life with SMA and a disability. But I’ve been able to see that life truly is beautiful, especially with SMA. It makes those sweet moments that much sweeter.”

Does it? How’s someone whose always had SMA make that call without having experienced an alternative?

Sorry to be cynical but if she woke up tomorrow fit, healthy & able I don’t believe things would be less “sweet”.

• deann-r

August 20, 2022 at 5:32 pm

I see where you’re coming from. For me though I know how much more difficult it is to achieve some of these things. Therefore when you do accomplish them it’s that much more gratifying. You’re right though, you can’t really know when you’re not in that position.