SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Accessibility for IPhone

• tyler-dukes

April 2, 2022 at 9:27 pm

Welcome to the iPhone family! There are plenty of different accessibility features, but the two that I use the most our Voice Control and Switch Control.

Voice control is a truly hands-free interaction with the phone. And generally has two overlays, one with just numbers, and the other with names of every button. I tend to stay on the number side. It’s easier just to say tap one, or drag from X to Y, or swiping a particular gesture.

Switch control interfaces directly via Bluetooth with my wheelchair. It has a scrolling bar that allows me to tell it when to stop, or do a particular command.

I would definitely check out the following link: https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/get-started-with-accessibility-features-iph3e2e4367/ios

• deann-r

April 4, 2022 at 11:30 am

Ooh! One of my favorite topics. I love hearing tips from everyone.

• You can set up assistive touch in the accessibility area.  I think this is how I got the dot on the bottom that allows me to access controls like volume and take a screenshot easily.
    • You can pull the top of the screen down by swiping down from the lower middle of the screen.  Alyssa told me about that one.  Makes reaching to go back so much easier.  I don’t remember if you have to set it up or if it just does it.
    • You can create shortcuts. For example if you enter your email a lot you can set the shortcut to enter your email when you type something like ea. Here’s how:
      “Create shortcuts for typing email addresses, phone numbers, etc.

Go to Settings
    Tap “General”
    Tap “Keyboards”
    Tap “Text replacement”
    Create a shortcut for something you type frequently.
    Now, when typing your shortcut in a text, email or note, your phone will automatically replace it.”

• With voice control on and the camera open you may be able to take a photo by saying “turn the volume down”.  For some reason this isn’t working for me atm.
  • alyssa-silva

April 4, 2022 at 11:45 am

Following what DeAnn said, assistive touch is the reason why I’m able to use an iPhone. It’s my favorite feature. Simply go to settings — accessibility — touch — assistive touch.

To pull the top of your screen down as DeAnn has mentioned, tap your assistive touch button — device — more — reachability. Without this feature, I wouldn’t be able to reach the top of my iPhone, so I use it ALL the time.

Let us know if you have any more questions! Happy to answer. ????

• julia-ayerbe

April 5, 2022 at 2:58 am

Thank you for all this tips! I will try and let you know. Hugs 🙂