SMA News Forums Forums Life Advice and Transitions College Students Advice for Going to Parties and Social Events when you have SMA

• Advice for Going to Parties and Social Events when you have SMA

Posted by kevin-schaefer on April 18, 2018 at 11:12 am

So, I wasn’t big into the party scene in college, but I went to a few here and there and always had an active social life. I just wanted to share some tips for making sure an event or party is accessible and also getting transportation.

In terms of accessibility, I recommend getting a couple portable ramps which you can keep in your van. If you have one that’s slightly longer than the other, it makes it easy to get over a couple of steps. I did that just this weekend to get into two separate house parties, and it worked out great. I have had other instances where a friend has carried me inside a house, but that can be kind of a pain.

For transportation, it was great in college because I had a couple friends who I hired as part-time aids/drivers. They could both take turns driving me to parties, movies, get-togethers, etc. Now either my friends or my brother drive me when I’m going to hang out. My brother drove me this past weekend to both of those parties.

Also, get involved in groups and campus organizations. These are great ways to meet people and step outside your comfort zone. When I was a student I worked for the student newspaper, was active in a campus ministry and hung out with other English majors. Get involved!

I just wanted to share this to encourage you to have fun while you’re in college and beyond. Don’t let your SMA and physical limitations get in the way of you having a social life, and feel free to ask me questions here.

kevin-schaefer replied 6 years ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.