SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Advice on moving out of state

• Advice on moving out of state

Posted by tammy on May 9, 2023 at 9:45 pm

I was wondering if any of you have moved out of state while being on Medicaid. I currently live in New Jersey and while we have pretty decent insurance and services available for disabled as far as prescriptions and medical costs, we don’t have the absolute best options for private duty nursing or PCA care. I have heard from insurance reps that they believe New York offers 24 hours if you qualify for that. Which I believe I would because I do have medical requirements. And it would be an easy move because I’m actually right smack on the border of New york. Less than 5 minutes away lol. However in order to get an assessment to see what I would qualify for I have to move first and then apply for New York Medicaid. Has anyone ever gone through this process before? I don’t have family support to help me out with this transition if I were to have gaps in coverage due to changing states. Basically how can I move first and lose the services I have in New Jersey, and then get a place in New York where I have no services at that moment, and have to wait for an assessment and to be approved for New York Medicaid while having absolutely no private duty nursing in the meantime. This seems like a ridiculous process to me. I’ve spent hours on the phone with New York Medicaid as well as New York social services and none of them can give me answers. They can’t even tell me if I give them my medical requirements whether or not I fall within a certain bracket for people who do qualify for a 24-hour care. I don’t understand how this works because any other person who chooses an insurance whether it’s through their job or what not, they are able to look into that plan to see what they offer and if it covers the things that they need. So why is it so difficult for us? Seems to be a pretty simple question…. Do you guys offer 24-hour care or not? Ugh

alyssa-silva replied 11 months, 2 weeks ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • tammy

May 9, 2023 at 9:54 pm

Oh and to clarify, because it’s site does not let me edit my posts anymore. I have already discussed this with my current Medicaid case manager and she said she has no idea how that works since they don’t deal with other states and she has never had any clients go through this process. So unfortunately she was no help, even though she is fantastic and I like her a lot as a person

• deann-r

May 11, 2023 at 9:11 am

Ugh! This reminds me of when I tried transferring schools in college. For the life of me I could not get housing and care lined up simultaneously. Kept getting the runaround like you are. Ended up scratching the idea. The only advice I have is to be persistent and get it in writing when you find the solution. That way they can’t claim they never said it. Wonder if you could do a dual citizenship type thing. I don’t know.

• tammy

May 11, 2023 at 12:05 pm

So frustrating. I still have not gotten any solid answers yet. The director at Social Services in New York said he can pretty much almost guarantee that there would be some type of gap in coverage during the transfer. It just seems crazy to me, I can’t be the only disabled person with Medicaid that has moved lol. Not that I have yet, but just saying in general. Maybe those other people were lucky enough to have family support, which I don’t

• deann-r

May 15, 2023 at 8:52 am

Yeah it’s silly that something that’s a necessity can be so difficult to obtain.  I would keep pressing the issue.  Suppose you could comment you sure would hate to end up in the hospital because of neglect/negligence and see what their response is.  Might get their rears in gear to find you some answers.

• micaela-macdougall

May 15, 2023 at 9:17 am

Or threaten to call the media (newspaper, tv, etc).  I’ve had occasional luck when insurance wants to avoid bad press.

• alyssa-silva

May 15, 2023 at 7:30 pm

Ugh so sorry you’re going through this Tammy. I wish I had some advice for you but I’m here to support you. Everything is always a struggle when it comes to getting the proper care. So frustrating.