• Aging Service Dogs

Posted by kevin-schaefer on July 20, 2018 at 3:00 pm

My service dog Pandy (short for Pandora) is 9 1/2. She’s more of a companion/family dog at this point, which is typical for service dogs as they get older. They eventually get to a point of “retirement.” I kind of expected this once I graduated college, as she just doesn’t have as much to do these days.

I’ll admit too that it is hard for me to give her the attention she needs. Between working full-time, writing jobs on the side, my social life and everything else I have going on, it is a challenge for me to set aside time for her. I don’t want to see her lay around the house all the time, but she just doesn’t have as much energy as she used to. Even when I take her for walks out, she wears out a lot faster than she did just a few years ago.

Has anyone else experienced this? Again I know it’s natural, but I still don’t want her to feel neglected or depressed. I just have trouble finding time for her with everything else I have going on.

michael-morale replied 5 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • deann-r

July 21, 2018 at 8:51 pm

With my first service dog I didn’t get the chance to experience this as a sudden illness took him when he was only 8.  My second SD, Roy, is 9 and doesn’t show signs of slowing down.  He’s not as much into toys anymore though and would prefer a pat on the head or a belly rub from anyone within reach.  As far as exercise, he loves to run around in my backyard and we manage to get out and about occasionally.  With the program I went through when a dog is ready to retire they can go to a family member or back to their puppy raiser if you’re unable to care for them or they don’t want to let the job go.  I don’t see that being a problem with Roy.  He’ll enjoy retirement when the time comes.  Since he doesn’t pull my chair or do anything too strenuous I’m hoping for a few more working years.  Do your parents or caregivers give her attention?  I know it’s not exactly in the rules, but if she’s semi-retired anyway I’m guessing it wouldn’t hurt.

• kevin-schaefer

July 22, 2018 at 1:43 pm

Pandy does run around in our backyard a lot, so that helps. And yes, my parents give her attention, so that helps. It’s not a huge problem, but it’s just something that’s been on my mind more. Thanks for the advice.

• michael-morale

July 28, 2018 at 12:37 pm

I never had a certain dog, but I can imagine having to retire one is a very difficult thing to do. While I was at the SMA conference back in June, I saw many people that had service dogs, and they were all so beautiful. With as much love and support that they gave their owners, I hope everyone allow these beautiful animals the retirement that they deserve.