Tagged: ,

• Almost Stranded

Posted by deann-r on August 11, 2018 at 11:33 am

On several occasions I’ve found myself almost stranded.  Only a couple times I actually have been. It evokes a momentary feeling of panic.  I try to avoid situations where this could happen, or take precautions like keeping my cell phone handy. Recently at a doctor’s office I didn’t have my cell phone. Although I know someone would be coming, I got that “Oh crap” feeling when I didn’t have the doctor leave the door ajar.  Have you had similar situations? What’s your reaction? Have you ever been stuck somewhere?

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

August 12, 2018 at 5:29 pm

A few times yeah. It’s more when I’m at home I have to make sure I’m ok being left alone if my parents have to go out. I make sure everything I need is within reach, and that my hand is on my joystick. For appointments and such, do you ever go with a PCA or someone?

• deann-r

August 15, 2018 at 9:59 am

Always so many things to think about when you’re going to be alone.  Luckily technology makes it a lot easier.  At home I have my door opener, my service dog, Alexa and my cell phone.  In this situation I had none of these.

Usually I have someone with me at the appointment, and since I have a ride I knew I wouldn’t be stranded for long.  Still it’s an eerie feeling when the door is shut and you know you couldn’t get it open. It’s happened to me in elevators as well when I thought I could reach the button, the door closes, then nope can’t push the button.  Again, someone’s going to use the elevator eventually.  Needless to say I don’t ride elevators alone unless I have to.

• adnan-hafizovic

August 14, 2018 at 1:23 pm

DeAnn most of us have similar problems,how we physical weaker we have that problem.I also have that problem and helps me pills for calmdown like Vallium,i used half of pills and helps me,I don t use every day.Go to doctor and probably give you some pills.

• deann-r

August 15, 2018 at 9:47 am

Typically I don’t have anxiety, but situations like this can give me that momentary panic.  Not to the point where I feel medication is necessary, but glad it’s helped you.

• ryan-berhar-2

August 14, 2018 at 4:22 pm

I honestly don’t have this problem, because I’m literally tied to someone 24/7.

• deann-r

August 15, 2018 at 10:11 am

Kind of off topic, but does it bother you having someone around all the time?  I’m guessing you get used to it.  I’m the type of person where I can’t wait for my PCA’s to come, then can’t wait for them to leave.  Even when I lived with my parents we could lovingly get on each others nerves.

• kevin-schaefer

August 15, 2018 at 12:02 pm

DeAnn I hear you there. I love my parents, but there are times when I can’t wait to have the house to myself and blast loud music haha. With devices like my Echo Show, it’s much easier to be left by myself. Now that I have that device, I can easily call for help if I get stuck or need anything.