SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Asking For Advice On A (Slightly Embarrassing) Topic

• Asking For Advice On A (Slightly Embarrassing) Topic

Posted by survivinglife on March 7, 2020 at 3:48 pm

IDK how to lead into this topic so I’m just gonna say it: I have a severe bloating problem. Part of it is due to the laxative medicine I have to take because I can’t go to the bathroom on my own. Then I think it’s also because I swallow a lot of air throughout the day. The fact that I’m always bloated it seems is annoying but I’m used to it now. My main beef with the problem is that I can never seem to relieve the gas I have while I’m sitting up and I don’t know why. I think it’s because of how turned my body is due to scoliosis. I even researched it and came to that conclusion. But I still don’t know what to do about it. I can’t lay down every time I feel bloated. And sometimes I honestly can’t tell if I’m bloated or if I actually need to go poop. Like right now I’m about to ask my mom to put me on the toilet even though she just asked me if I had to use the bathroom and I said no. I’m so tired of this and I don’t know what to do about it. Any suggestions? We already talked to the doctor and he said there was nothing he could give us. How can I relieve the gas while sitting?

halsey-blocher replied 4 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • deann-r

March 7, 2020 at 3:56 pm

Hmmm…I know with a feeding tube a lot of people talk about venting to get extra air out. Not sure if you can do that somehow with the ng tube? Otherwise maybe something like Gasex (not sure on spelling) or Beano?

• alyssa-silva

March 7, 2020 at 9:54 pm

Hey Crystal. This isn’t embarrassing at all! I struggle with bloating too. In fact, I have a bad bout of it right now from eating too much dairy. For me, Mylanta works wonders. If you have never had it, I’d experiment cautiously. The high level of magnesium softens my stools, and because you’re already on a laxative I wouldn’t want you to aggravate your intestines. But, it really does work for me— almost instantaneously. And because I don’t have a g-tube to let air out, I feel this is my next best option.

Please don’t ever hesitate with questions. That’s what we’re here for!

• survivinglife

March 8, 2020 at 1:17 pm

Thank you guys! To be honest, I’m trying not to go the route of medications since I already take so much and plus, the last time we tried medicine for the problem, I got this bad rash on my leg. But what is venting? I’ve never heard of it before.

• deann-r

March 9, 2020 at 9:28 am

Crystal, I can’t give you much info, as I don’t do it myself, but venting is a way to let excess air out through your feeding tube.

• survivinglife

March 9, 2020 at 4:39 pm

Okay. I’m gonna have to look into it. Today I was extremely bloated. ????

• halsey-blocher

March 9, 2020 at 9:56 pm

I’m actually not sure if venting works with an ng tube. With a surgically placed tube you attach a specific extension that goes a little deeper into the tube to release air. But there could be a way to do it with an ng tube that I’m not aware of? I hope there is.