SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Avoiding Frozen Tears

• Avoiding Frozen Tears

Posted by deann-r on October 16, 2019 at 11:45 am

Glancing out the window icicles dangle from the last blooms of my begonia. How do I know they’re the last blooms? Because, much like myself, those plants can’t tolerate temperatures conducive to creating icicles. I snapped a picture. Sub-par because there’s a frosty window glare, but there’s no way I’m going out to get the shot I really want. Instead of sharing it on social media I sent it to Mom. She said it looked like it was crying frozen tears. She gets it. Shortly thereafter I receive a message from my sister with a photo of a plant I gave her to overwinter, showing me its new home. It’ll be a long winter for the plant. By winters end it’ll show stress, but with proper care it will be ready to flourish when spring arrives. I’m happy to say I’m much more like the second plant.

As you’ve gathered, in my opinion winter sucks. Like my plants I don’t tolerate the cold. You’ll find me parked in front of a window much of the time sharing the sunny space with my rescued plants. Every day though I strive to make my home a place I can thrive. Still, winter is stressful. By spring I’ll be more than ready to branch out and flourish after being all cooped up. Until then I’ll stay in hibernation to avoid frozen tears.

Do you hibernate over winter? Any tips to make winter less stressful? How do you make your home your sanctuary? I need all the advice I can get.

deann-r replied 4 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • kelly-miller

October 16, 2019 at 1:07 pm

Every time I think about you, DeAnn, hibernating in your home all winter long to avoid the heavy drifts of snow of Minnesota, I always wish I could send you some of the warm weather we have in the southern part of the United States. I absolutely get the frozen tears of your plant, and possibly yours, as you look out frosted windows for the next 6 to 8 months. Winter life anywhere below about 70° for someone with SMA is no joke.

I wish I would have some suggestions for you to better bridge the season between the wonderful Indian Summer warmth in September and the beautiful budding glow of Spring in May. I have, rather inexpertly, only lived in a moderately snowy place when I was in Cincinnati for 3 years. Unfortunately for me, I wasn’t able to hibernate because my job with the federal govt didn’t think 17 in. of hard, frozen wetness was enough to keep us at home. And they didn’t take into consideration the hazards of a power wheelchair trying to navigate the mounds of it everywhere. I think you’ve already implemented everything I could think of: Netflix & all other streaming platforms, Kindle books from Kindle Unlimited, and various hobbies of things like crocheting & needlepoint & quilting. Other than this website, along with other social media, I know you keep up with all your friends. As far as making a sanctuary, that’s such a personal space that I wouldn’t know where to begin to make suggestions. My own sanctuary would be stocked with my favorite snacks, my favorite cozy throw blankets, & lots of my favorite warmth inducing drinks like hot chocolate and/or various flavors of coffee or tea. I’m sure you probably already have all of those.

My big advice would be to get you and your family to become “snowbirds” during the 4th season of the year, bringing the entire clan down to sunny Florida for those months. We have plenty of room all over Saint Augustine and weather that would not disappoint. It’s even possible to leave the house to enjoy all the fun things to do, including the beach, during the harshest Januarys & Februarys. If traveling back and forth every time the flakes begin to fall doesn’t sound appealing, how about a Christmas time vacation to see our wonderful city in lights along our harbor? Might be fun to break up your imprisonment into 2 relatively manageable blocks of time!

• deann-r

October 17, 2019 at 10:37 am

Thank you Kelly! It means a lot knowing you’d send warm weather here if it worked that way. It just stinks when you get snow in October. Thankfully it didn’t stick, but just the fact it’s already cold enough to snow is depressing.

Unfortunately I don’t have the support or financial means to move. I am hoping one of these winters to go somewhere warmer if only for a week or two. I just have to twist some arms to have someone come with me. I’d love to see Saint Augustine. Sounds beautiful.

Your sanctuary sounds much like what I aim for. For the life of me I can’t find my mug warmer to keep beverages warm longer.

• halsey-blocher

October 16, 2019 at 9:40 pm

Indiana isn’t as bad as Minnesota, but it still gets pretty cold and snowy. I had to get a coat out this week which was devastating. When it get really cold I always enjoy fuzzy socks, good books by the fire, and Christmas movies (not until after thanksgiving though). I also love to cook and bake and nothing beats warm food on a cold day!

• deann-r

October 17, 2019 at 10:46 am

All must have’s for winter! Thanks Halsey.