SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Celebrating Easter in a Pandemic

• Celebrating Easter in a Pandemic

Posted by alyssa-silva on April 9, 2020 at 11:00 am

Hey everyone. Crazy to think that Easter is this weekend for those of us who celebrate. Time seems to be at a standstill these days.

When it comes to holidays with the family, accessibility in people’s homes is always an issue. Fortunately, I’m tiny enough to be carried in, but not having my wheelchair means I’m confined to the couch and stuck there until we leave. That won’t be the case this year as we’re all stuck at home.

I’m trying to think of innovative ways to still celebrate this year. My brother wants to do an egg hunt via FaceTime with his kids, and I’m thinking of organizing a zoom call with my family. I also know of some churches that are doing parking lot masses where everyone stays in their cars, so I’ll look into that as well. Most importantly, I’m weirdly excited that I have my wheelchair to use during a holiday for once.

Are you still planning a virtual gathering or celebrating this day somehow?

halsey-blocher replied 3 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • halsey-blocher

April 10, 2020 at 9:51 pm

Staying in your chair is definitely exciting! Enjoy it! We normally do an Easter meal at our house, but we obviously won’t be doing that this year. I think we’re going to do a zoom call with my grandma and my mom’s siblings. My brother downloaded some new games on his switch that we can all play by logging in with our phones, so we might try that.