SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Clothing Modifications

Tagged: 

• Clothing Modifications

Posted by deann-r on May 10, 2018 at 2:44 pm

Do you guys make modifications to your shoes/clothing to make them fit better? Recently I’ve had my mom put  pleats in a couple tops so they wouldn’t fall off my shoulders. After a pair of shoes I bought online didn’t fit my fat feet I had mom slice into them so they’d open more. Totally wrecked any resale value, but now they fit!

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

May 10, 2018 at 2:50 pm

I actually haven’t worn shoes in forever. I had shoes and leg braces when I was a kid, and I hated both. I’m much more comfortable with just socks.

Aside from that I’m not exactly picky when it comes to what I wear. I’m good with an extra-large Batman t-shirt and sweatpants. In a few weeks I’m going to a friend’s wedding, so I’ll actually have to dress like an adult haha.

• michael-morale

May 10, 2018 at 3:15 pm

New Balance makes quite a few shoes in extra wide widths. These are great shoes that last and the only company to offer extra wide shoes.

• kevin-schaefer

May 10, 2018 at 3:19 pm

Thanks for the tip Michael. I also wear soft boots in the wintertime. Those do help keep my feet warm.

• mike-huddleston

May 10, 2018 at 4:14 pm

Could not agree more.  Love me some New Balance shoes in wide widths.  Double wide (2E) usually works for me, but I believe I’ve seen them with up to 4E widths in some styles.  They have the typical athletic style shoes, but some of their colors, like black and brown, masquerade quite nicely as casual shoes.

If in need of some dressier styled shoes, some Rockports are available in wide widths.  I mean, I’m not going to make the GQ cover anytime soon, but I’m in a good place with that.

Interestingly, for pants, the nice ones like I wear to work, I buy the year round wool pants from LL Bean or Lands End.  They are thin, meaning lightweight, so not horribly hot in the summer.  Not much in the way of warmth in the winter, but I don’t hang outside anymore than necessary when it’s really cold.  I get them with the comfort waist (built in expansion) and they do seem to do the trick.  ALSO, the material of these is excellent for board transfers.

One question I do have is about tucking shirts in.  What do you all do?  I usually don’t, unless a dressier occasion, but for polo style shirts, whether long or short sleeved, I just leave untucked and kind of gathered at the waist.  Again, not GQ material, but that’s about 110th on my top 50 list.   Those commercials for the no tuck shirts seem interesting, but I’ve priced them and they’re much more expensive than what I normally spend on button up (dress) shirts.

• deann-r

May 10, 2018 at 3:34 pm

If I don’t wear shoes the mosquitoes find my feet, must be all the blood pooled down there, ha ha.  It about killed me to cut into a new pair, but I didn’t want to give up that easy.

• kevin-schaefer

May 10, 2018 at 3:37 pm

I gotcha. Yeah I’m usually a target for mosquitoes in the summertime as well haha.

• michael-morale

May 11, 2018 at 11:32 am

The only thing that I had to do with regards to modifying my clothes is to have an alteration to any pants that I purchase. My right leg is about 1 inch shorter than my left leg because my right hip is higher than my left hip. I no longer wear dress shirts because tucking them into my pants is virtually impossible. It also makes it difficult because I have a colostomy. Shorts and shirts usually fit me without a problem. I have seen pants that you can buy that you can put on while sitting down. They drape over the top of your body like a towel and then you have someone tuck them around you and under your legs. While they’re not quite as nice as an actual pair of pants, they do provide an alternate way to wear pants for people that are confined to wheelchairs.

• kevin-schaefer

May 11, 2018 at 1:10 pm

I’ll keep that in mind. Yeah sweats usually work best for me.