SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Colonoscopy -Yikes!

• Colonoscopy -Yikes!

Posted by patricia-hall on March 25, 2021 at 8:05 pm

I recently started having some G.I. issues, and now my gastroenterologist insists that the next step is a colonoscopy! I am wondering if any of you have had this procedure and if so, hoping you will share your experience. I have heard that the prep is awful, but in addition, I am very concerned about having to be sedated. I do plan to discuss with my PCP at next week’s appointment, but hoping to get some feedback in advance.

patricia-hall replied 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • dennis-turner

March 26, 2021 at 8:47 am

The prep requires you to drink tons of nasty tasting laxative to clean you out, with the issue of constantly going to the bathroom over many hours. As for sedation, I was given Valium at least first, they might have given me something more after I was out, it was a couple years ago. I should have had another earlier this year, but for me it was less urgent then for you.

• patricia-hall

March 26, 2021 at 9:12 pm

Thanks Dennis – this is helpful to know and I appreciate you sharing your experience with this procedure. I am hoping to get a second opinion from a gastroenterologist that might be willing to consider other screening alternatives. I’ve heard there is a special CT scan that some doctors use, so maybe I can find other options.