• Sponsored Post

Planes, Trains, & Accessible Travel With SMA

Talk to your doctor to determine if you or your child is fit to travel.

Traveling with a child is never easy. Traveling with a child in a wheelchair is an extra challenge. The first time Leah flew on an airplane, she was six months old, almost a year before she was diagnosed. We have always been a traveling family and once she was diagnosed, we were both hopeful and determined that it wouldn’t hold us back.

I have always flown with Leah by myself, just the two of us. Call me crazy; it’s OK, I am. There are some things we have learned that have made it so much easier for us.

• This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan Berhar 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author
       DeAnn R 
      Keymaster

Whizzing Through Summer: Altering Urination to Enable Hydration

I hope everyone is having a fantastic Wednesday! I wanted to share with you Katie’s latest column, Whizzing Through Summer: Altering Urination to Enable Hydration. It’s an article regarding a topic that’s been on my mind lately…having to pee when I don’t have the opportunity. I’m still of the “just hold it” club, but as Katie mentioned that’s not the healthiest. She talks about a procedure she’s had, a Mitrofanoff appendicovesicostomy, eliminating the need to hold it or become dehydrated doing “pee-math.” For her it’s been life changing. I know others who have a SPC. If I would have known about these options when I was younger I probably would have done it. Now though I’m hesitant to do surgery, but I can certainly see the benefits. Have you done anything to alter urination? I would love to hear more stories since I’m still on the fence.

Rachel Markley 
      Participant

I, too, wish I had known about this at a younger age! I am seeing a urologist for this now and hope to do an SPC with just local anesthesia.

DeAnn R 
        Keymaster

Let me know what you find out! It’s something I would consider, but not if I have to be put under.

Ryan Berhar 
      Keymaster

Very interesting. For me, it’s really only an issue on trips. I sometimes have to hold it in these cases. I’ve considered looking into an external catheter, but the thing is I need to get out of my chair a few times a day anyway to prevent pain. On trips I just do the best I can, usually laying down in the backseat of the van. I know that’s not really an option for the ladies. Us guys have it a bit easier in this department.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Videos

• ©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
    or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.