SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Columnist Writes About Treating Chronic Migraines

• deann-r

May 8, 2019 at 1:03 pm

Thankfully I’ve not had to deal with chronic pain including migraines, knock on wood. One time my GP referred me to a Physiatrist. After the initial visit I decided it wasn’t necessary because he mainly worked with chronic pain issues. Well that and he was an idiot, telling me if I had SMA type 2 I’d be dead by now. Anyway, I do recommend if someone is dealing with chronic pain they consider a Physiatrist. Just not the one I went to. Glad Kayla has found what works for her although it might not be for everyone.

• ryan-berhar

May 8, 2019 at 5:25 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever had a migraine, and I rarely get headaches. I have pain mostly in my shoulders, but nothing a little ibuprofen can’t handle.

• katie-elizabeth-napiwocki

May 9, 2019 at 8:46 am

I enjoyed this column and I think it’s great that Kala shed some light on unconventional approaches to dealing with some of the tag-along issues of SMA.  I can relate to her description of the headrest causing problems with headaches and migraines. While I don’t use my headrest throughout the entire day, I do use it to take breaks if my head begins to feel heavy. I notice the pressure causes tension in my neck muscles, and that leads to headaches.  Thank you for the interesting perspective, Kala. 😊