SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Going to House Parties

• Going to House Parties

Posted by kevin-schaefer on January 3, 2019 at 11:00 am

At the New Year’s Eve party I went to a few nights ago, I had two steps to get over to get inside the house. They were spread apart, so that part wasn’t really an issue, but it was a tight space in between my ramp and the first step. I had two small ramps, which helped a lot, but I had to make a tight turn in order to get over the first step. My brother and his friends were there to help, and it worked out fine. He went over there a few days before to make sure I could get in. I probably should’ve taken a couple pictures so you all could see how I got in, but it was nice that the house was accessible enough. It also had plenty of space inside for me to maneuver.

I encourage others with SMA to go to social events like this. It takes some creativity to figure out the logistics of getting into a house with steps, but it’s very possible. I recommend purchasing a couple manual ramps in case one is insufficient, and to have several people to help you get in. I’ve gone to multiple house parties over the years, and I’ve never been unable to get into any of the ones I’ve gone to. Plus, with my robotic arm I don’t have to ask people for help with eating and drinking. It’s also fun to show it off at parties.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • deann-r

January 6, 2019 at 11:23 am

I’ve thought about getting a portable ramp.  Where did you get yours?

• kevin-schaefer

January 6, 2019 at 11:34 am

They’re extremely helpful. My grandparents bought them years ago for their old house, and now I use them all the time. My Mom is pretty sure they got them from van products. Just reach out to your local durable medical vendor and they should have something.

• halsey-blocher

January 10, 2019 at 9:14 pm

https://www.discountramps.com/4-foot-wheelchair-ramps/c/311004/

Our four foot ramps are older versions of the threshold ramps on this site, but we alway got them on eBay. They are usually a lot cheaper there.

• halsey-blocher

January 10, 2019 at 9:10 pm

We have bunch of folding ramps that we love! We keep an eight foot and a four foot in the car at all time in case someone forget to tell us we’ll need one or they think the “threshold” is small enough. We also have one more of each at home as well as a five foot for our front porch.

• kevin-schaefer

January 11, 2019 at 9:16 am

That’s awesome! Yeah it helps to have multiple ramps.