SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Difficulty Remembering the Past

• Difficulty Remembering the Past

Posted by alyssa-silva on May 5, 2021 at 11:00 am

Over the weekend, my brother and I were reminiscing about being kids as we played old-school video games, and I barely remembered anything from our childhood. I kept shaking my head every time he asked, “don’t you remember” to the point where he thought I was just giving him a hard time.

To be honest, I was a little sad! My parents gave us a great childhood, and I can’t even remember it like my brother can. So that got me thinking…

Yes, I had a great childhood, but I also had plenty of hardships and medical traumas that most kids don’t experience. Could it be that my brain’s coping mechanism was to simply “dump” these memories out of my head in order to heal? Is this a thing?

I’m glad we have pictures and videos (and my brother haha) to represent the happy moments growing up. Still, I wish I could remember some of the good times the way my brother can. Do you have memories of your childhood??

adam replied 2 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • holly-dillon

May 5, 2021 at 12:53 pm

the same thing happened to me. i thought it was because of surgical complications but sometimes it feels like the memories are there and it just hurts to remember.

• alyssa-silva

May 6, 2021 at 10:04 am

I agree. That’s why I’ve always loved taking photos. It helps to remind me there was always joy in between the pain.

• kelly-miller

May 5, 2021 at 1:00 pm

I definitely think the brain is constructed in a way to keep us from reliving trauma. It’s how the brain protects the body from constantly going thru that heightened state over and over. As to why you can’t remember the good times, I don’t know. Collateral damage, maybe?

I can still remember my good childhood events and even some bad ones. However, I have forgotten things around my horrible illness last year when I went unresponsive several times and my body endured an emergency trach and becoming permanently vent dependent. I’ve lost a lot of my memories from the months before that and even a few afterward. With time, I’ve regained a little bit, but others may be lost forever. From what my husband says my body, and probably my brain, went thru a lot of trauma. I’m going to let my brain decide what I need to know, I think. I certainly don’t want to relive those bad times, but yours might be different.

• alyssa-silva

May 6, 2021 at 10:11 am

I think you’re right about how the brain is constructed. I’ve always been so fascinated by its many intricacies. I’m sorry you went through all that trauma last year. How scary. I’m sure you’d rather not remember those moments but it is strange how the brain processes things. My brother was involved in a bad accident as a kid where he suffered severe head trauma and it took him a long time to regain his memories. He still doesn’t remember his accident though.

• adam

May 8, 2021 at 12:19 pm

Wow! Yes!

I had my best mate stay for a week & he remembers so much that I don’t. But he doesn’t really remember my rough times.