SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Do You Form Friendships with your Caregivers?

• Do You Form Friendships with your Caregivers?

Posted by kevin-schaefer on May 28, 2018 at 4:43 pm

I remember when I first started the process of hiring personal care assistants a few years ago, and the agency I was working with advised me not to become friends with my caregivers. Their reasoning was that if you become too close and casual with your caregivers, they may become too comfortable and not work as hard as a result.

I get this mentality, but at the same time I wanted to work with people who I did feel comfortable with and who I could be friends with. That’s certainly happened, as I’ve had the same caregiver for four years now, and he’s one of my closest friends. Just the other night I hung out with him, his girlfriend and his sister and brother-in-law.

Still, if you do hire a friend as your caregiver or you become friends with a PCA over time, there are some things you should take into consideration. It’s true that you don’t want your caregiver to become so comfortable that he or she slacks off and doesn’t take the job seriously. Here are just a few tips I have to ensure that that doesn’t happen.

Establish boundaries. It’s good to make your caregiver feel comfortable and right at home, but you also want to establish some ground rules. For instance, if a caregiver leaves items around your house or takes something without asking, don’t be afraid to address this. Keep in mind that you are the boss.

Communicate regularly. Anytime you have a concern about your caregiver or about how they go about doing something, talk to them directly. It’s best to try to resolve the issue with them before getting an agency involved.

Be sure to show your caregiver how much you appreciate them. The best way to prevent a caregiver from getting burnt out is to thank them on a regular basis. Give them a nice gift every now and then. Let them have days off. Keep in mind that they have their lives, and that they give up a lot to help you. Make sure to appreciate them.

What about you all? Do you try to be friends with your caregivers? Do you try to keep the relationship completely personal? Share your experiences.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.