SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Do you have a hospital bag?

• Do you have a hospital bag?

Posted by deann-r on August 21, 2020 at 11:00 am

Not that I’m planning on needing one anytime soon, I’m thinking about putting together a hospital bag. Something that holds those necessities to make a hospital stay more comfortable. It’s been a while, so I’d like your input. Here’s what I’m thinking: My own pillow, a set of comfy pj’s & fuzzy socks, eye mask (so many annoying lights in hospitals,) shawl, deodorant, spare phone charger and magazine or project of some sort. I suppose I need to pack a spare toothbrush & toothpaste? What am I forgetting?

Most hospital stays are unplanned. Therefore I’d like to be somewhat prepared. Last time I had an extended stay Mom was kind enough to grab a few things for me. I applaud her effort, but she had no clue what I actually wanted. If I have everything gathered together it would make it so much easier. Do you have a hospital bag? If so, what’s in it? Fingers crossed I’m not jinxing myself.

deann-r replied 3 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • dennis-turner

August 21, 2020 at 1:04 pm

Nope. But in December when I was admitted i had my wife throw some things into a backpack for me. Was too far out to care for the first few days while in and couldn’t get to it half the rest of the time. But did bring it with me when i was readmitted in January. Still didn’t work out well.

Good idea though.

• alyssa-silva

August 21, 2020 at 2:02 pm

I don’t have a hospital bag, but I think it’s a good thing to have on hand now that you mention it. Instead of thinking you’re jinxing yourself, think of it like you’re being so prepared that it’s impossible for the unprepared (going to the hospital) to happen. ????

• kelly-miller

August 21, 2020 at 2:54 pm

I had a totally unexpected stay beginning January to end of April, which entailed getting a trach and now on a vent at home (a story for another time). Unfortunately I had to try to remember everything to take while I was struggling to breathe. I think preparing a bag ahead of time, even if you have to add to it as you go out the door, is a really good idea. I love the suggestions of toothbrush and paste, along with extra charger.

I always want things I can’t put in the bag beforehand, like my fav lap blanket & pillow, laptop for Netflix, and my Trilogy, b/c I’m using them all everyday. My husband & I are making a list that sits in the bag. That way he can check things off the list without having to worry about me not being able to tell him what we need to take.

• deann-r

August 28, 2020 at 11:02 am

Thanks for the input. I think I’ll make this into a video. Sorry to hear about your ordeal Kelly. Love your list suggestion. There are certainly items I don’t want to part with that I don’t have a spare of. Dennis, I can see where it could be difficult to access your bag in the hospital. With tubes and wires and overall feeling like crap, maybe it wouldn’t come in as handy as I hope. I like Alyssa’s way of thinking though, if I’m over prepared maybe I’ll never need it to find out. We’ll go with that.