SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Do You Like the Sound of Your Voice?

• Do You Like the Sound of Your Voice?

Posted by alyssa-silva on September 19, 2022 at 11:02 am

Full disclaimer: Before I get started, it’s important for me to note that I am grateful for my voice. Getting weaker this year and losing some strength to speak has made me realize that I should consider myself lucky to still speak. With SMA I could lose that ability at any time.

That being said, the sound of my voice makes me self-conscious. Because it’s weak and childish sounding, I fear that people will take me less seriously. I was actually thinking about writing a column on this, so I thought I’d ask here first.

How do you feel about your voice? Do you have the same fears?

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 3 months ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • blake-watson

September 19, 2022 at 11:14 am

Yeah 100%. I think it’s a phenomenon in general—people dislike hearing their voice played back to them. But yeah, I’m self-conscious of my SMA voice. The squeakiness. The non-manliness of it lol (not to say a man must have a deep voice, but you know, just a self-conscious thing).

I especially hate phone calls because that’s when my voice is most difficult to understand. So I try to make calls over higher quality mediums (FaceTime audio-only for example is a huge improvement over a regular phone call).

But it’s the only voice I have so the show must go on. 🙂

• alyssa-silva

September 19, 2022 at 9:22 pm

Yeah my thoughts exactly. ???? If I can, I force my caregiver to make my phone calls for me. In my defense, people have difficulty understanding me sometimes. So it’s just easier to have someone else make my calls if it’s like making a vet appointment for my dog or customer service. Something simple. But I still get self-conscious in everyday conversations.

• deann-r

September 20, 2022 at 9:39 am

My voice is on the stronger side as far as the SMA world goes. Ironically though I don’t care for my voice either. So, I got into recordings and videos where I have to listen to myself way too much. I just hope other people don’t find me as annoying as I do.

My hearing must not be great because there’s a lot of times I miss what someone says. So it’s not always on your voice. It could be their hearing or a combination. Generally I don’t think many people like making phone calls. Maybe that’s why you can’t get ahold of anybody anymore. They’re self conscious about their voice and/or hearing.

• alyssa-silva

September 21, 2022 at 6:33 pm

Haha your voice definitely does not sound annoying! And that’s true. I always wonder if when people tell me they have trouble hearing, they’re using it as an excuse because they feel bad saying they can’t understand me. I think I’m just paranoid honestly. Of what, I’m not really sure.

• tammy

January 7, 2023 at 8:21 pm

I can definitely sympathize with the “annoying voice” thoughts lol. I always say that about my voice on recordings. Like OMG is that really what I sound like in person? Because my voice doesn’t sound like that in my own head/ears lol. Like Deann I also have a very strong voice and loud voice. Considering I have to yell at my job all day long because it’s loud there lol. I definitely sound like an adult, however I feel like when I listen to myself on videos and what not, my voice sounds a bit nasally and annoying. Like Janice from Friends ????

• alyssa-silva

January 8, 2023 at 8:44 pm

Like Janice from Friends ???? Ohhhh myyy Gooooood. You can’t unhear that haha.

• tammy

January 9, 2023 at 12:24 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHA ????????????

• patrick-lenihan

January 11, 2023 at 12:16 am

Yes I like the sound of my speaking voice. My singing voice is a totally different matter. I can’t carry a tune to save my soul.

• alyssa-silva

January 11, 2023 at 12:01 pm

Oh don’t even get me started. I come from a musically inclined family, so I’m definitely the black sheep!