SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Do You Patronize Inaccessible Shops?

• Do You Patronize Inaccessible Shops?

Posted by deann-r on January 6, 2023 at 10:00 am

One of my biggest frustrations is inaccessibility. To me, it feels like inadvertent discrimination. Nobody means to say you’re not welcome, but you don’t have to say it when a step does it for you.

For years I’ve overlooked that my favorite shop’s clearance section is down a flight of stairs. Although it’s a bummer I can’t get a firsthand look, they’ve always been accommodating, bringing up selections if I’m searching for something. Recently they expanded upstairs, now making almost half their shop inaccessible. Here’s the kicker, they actually justified it by saying it makes the main area of their shop more accessible. Honestly, I don’t even know how to respond to that. Thank you? Yes, thanks for providing me with more space to look at fewer products while your able-bodied customers get the best values. Can you see my eyes rolling?

I understand accessibility isn’t always easy. Especially when it comes to old buildings. Instead of using these areas for the general public, my thought is to use these spaces for other business activities that don’t require foot traffic. Maybe it could be for extra inventory, online orders, or even production. It probably feels like you’re not utilizing your square footage, but you’re also not alienating your customers.

How would you respond? Would you continue to shop there?

deann-r replied 1 year, 3 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

January 8, 2023 at 8:56 pm

Definitely a tough call. There are a few coffee shops in the city that I love going to but they’re not accessible either. Sometimes I question whether or not I should be supporting them since I can’t even get inside. I guess it all depends on personal preference and how you’d feel if you stopped going.

• deann-r

January 17, 2023 at 9:20 am

True

• anna

January 10, 2023 at 5:21 am

For me, it all comes down to effort vs reward. I know lots of disabled folks who refuse, on principle, to go to inaccessible places, but I figured that would reduce my options significantly.

However, I usually try to find a polite way to point out the lack of accessibility. The other day, for instance, I was at a restaurant with outdoor seating. The garden was accessible, but there were two steps to the main entrance. I asked if there was another entrance with a ramp, in case I wanted to dine indoors sometime, and the answer was obviously “no”. I said, “It’s OK, we’ll be visiting only when the weather is good”. My parents or caregivers could easily carry me inside, but the owner didn’t know that and I wanted them to feel bad. It worked!

• deann-r

January 17, 2023 at 9:19 am

Thanks for the feedback Anna. Since I like the owners I’m trying to figure out a polite way to let them know how I feel. My problem is even though they might feel bad it’s not enough to change anything.

• jim-schneider

January 10, 2023 at 8:09 am

No I don’t support businesses that haven’t made any attempts to make their business accessible.  But I always try and let them know my family, friends and I will be going elsewhere with our money.
    What really irritates me is the business that makes no attempt to meet the ADA law.

• deann-r

January 17, 2023 at 9:08 am

I go back & forth on this. On one hand I feel like they could care less whether I shop there or not so why should I deprive myself. On the other, I know I shouldn’t support places that don’t make the effort.

In my area most places get around ADA laws by saying they were “grandfathered in.” It’s so annoying.