SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research Spinraza (nusinersen) Does Anyone who’s on Spinraza Have to do Medical Evaluations?

• Does Anyone who’s on Spinraza Have to do Medical Evaluations?

Posted by kevin-schaefer on April 25, 2018 at 1:57 pm

So, I had to do an evaluation a few months ago while I was at the MDA clinic to see if my treatments were having any effect. I was able to exhibit a little more strength than usual, and they mainly had me do things like moving small objects around on my tray with no assistance.

I was just curious if anyone else has done this. If so, what was your experience like?

kevin-schaefer replied 6 years ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

April 25, 2018 at 8:11 pm

Before my fifth dose I had another physical therapy assessment and a pulmonary function test that they compared to my baseline. My PT assessment showed a 5 point improvement on the upper limb scale. I still can only tear through one layer of paper and can not open a glad container, but there was minor improvements, so I’ll take it.  Not sure how often we do these.  Next time I’m tearing through 2 layers…lol.

• kevin-schaefer

April 26, 2018 at 9:58 am

Yeah I thought it was kind of dumb at first, but then once I actually did the tests it was cool to see just slight improvements. And yeah sounds like a good goal.