SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Entering a New Decade

• Entering a New Decade

Posted by alyssa-silva on October 28, 2020 at 11:00 am

I turned 30 this past weekend! It was truly the best birthday I ever had. I think because I went into it with zero expectations considering the circumstances I’m in this year, I was blown away by the way my people showed up for me. Thoughtful gifts, epic surprises, and a cake smash with my 3-year-old nephew as seen above— I could not have asked for anything more.

Entering a new decade feels both scary and joyful. On one end, I’m questioning what the heck I want to do with my life. Single, living at home, and zero savings in my bank account is making it hard for me to accept the fact that I’m 30 now. I think I need a 5-year plan of some sort.

At the same time, I am so unbelievably grateful for 30. Birthdays hold extra meaning to me since I know life, especially with SMA, isn’t guaranteed. Before I started Spinraza 4 years ago I was in really rough shape, so to be here right now overwhelmingly fills me with gratitude.

Can you relate to these contradicting feelings? I’m sure I’m not the only one!

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • tracy-odell

October 28, 2020 at 11:27 am

Way to go,  Alyssa! Congrats! I can relate since I reached 60 not too long ago and I have SMA 2.

• alyssa-silva

October 28, 2020 at 9:41 pm

Amazing, Tracy! And thank you!