SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Getting Your Wheelchair Into Other People’s Houses

• Getting Your Wheelchair Into Other People’s Houses

Posted by kevin-schaefer on May 21, 2018 at 8:00 am

This weekend I went to a cookout at a friend’s house, and of course it was raining the day of. I’ve been to this house multiple times before, and I’m able to go through the backyard to get inside; but the weather of course made things a little more difficult this time.

Nevertheless, my friends and I were still able to get me in. It was barely drizzling when my friend and I got there, and he was able to help me navigate through the backyard and avoid the muddy areas. I took it slow, had my friend stay in front of me in case I got stuck, and moved toward the backdoor of the house. It was also a fairly steep backyard, so I had to be extra-careful as I drove. Anytime I felt like my driving hand was about to slip, I stopped and had my friend help me adjust my hand back into a good position.

Getting down that slope in the backyard and inside the house was fairly easy. I managed to avoid the muddy spots, and there was a ramp to the backdoor I could use once I made it over there. Also my friend used a hose to get all of the dirt off my wheels before I entered the house. We spent several hours there and had a good time.

Leaving was a bit more challenging. By the time we left the grass was definitely muddier than before, and getting up a steep surface is generally harder than going down. I got stuck several times, and two of my friends were helping me the whole time. We then found some plywood which we used to get me over those extremely muddy spots. Between the two of my friends that were there, they were able to keep several sheets of plywood on the ground simultaneously while I drove. I still took it slow, but it was much easier once I got farther up the slope. It just took a good deal of problem-solving and maneuvering skills. I’ve also found that my current wheelchair has better dexterity than previous ones. When it comes to getting over a hump or a steep area, this one is the best in terms of maneuverability and durability. The model is a permobil M3, and I’ve included an image of me in it here. 

[caption id="attachment_12237" align="alignnone" width="225"] This is me last fall when I first got this chair. It’s my best one yet.[/caption]

Suffice it to say, I don’t go over to friends’ houses too often, and I much prefer going to a public place or hanging out at my house. Nevertheless, it’s nice to know that it is an option, and the key is finding the right people to help you.

What about you all? Do any of you have stories similar to this one? What tips do you have? 

ryan-berhar-2 replied 5 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • deann-r

May 21, 2018 at 12:27 pm

Unfortunately not many homes are accessible.  I can count on one hand how many houses I can get into, and two of those include my house and my Mom’s.  My sister’s house isn’t even accessible anymore.  They removed the ramp that was put in when they built the house because it was inconvenient for them (too slippery or something.)  If she hosts a gathering they have to put up a 4-wheeler ramp to get me in.  It takes two people to assist as that ramp is so steep I’m afraid my chair will tumble down it if someone doesn’t hang on.  Although it irritates me to no end they took the ramp out, it isn’t my house.  My question is why people think it’s either a ramp or steps.  Why can’t you do both?

Outdoor bbq’s and parties are great during the summer months.  It’s a little trickier in the winter.  We usually settle for a movie or restaurant.  Otherwise we host the party.  Kind of stinks, but it is what it is.

• kevin-schaefer

May 21, 2018 at 12:37 pm

More houses really should just have built-in ramps. You make a good point that there’s no reason for it to be one or the other. It really does stink that there isn’t more accessible housing out there.

Also, do you have a primary driver? I wasn’t sure if your PCAs drive you or just take care of your needs at home.

• deann-r

May 22, 2018 at 11:10 am

Kevin, my mom has an accessible van so if I need to go somewhere on a weekend or evening she takes me. Otherwise I can use the public transportation as long as I schedule it a day in advance.  Kind of stinks that you have to be watching the clock so you don’t miss your ride and can’t do spur of the moment stuff.  I do live in town, so in the summer I can trek places on my own.

• kevin-schaefer

May 22, 2018 at 2:38 pm

I hear you. I definitely have to plan out my schedule a lot. This was especially the case in college. I’m fortunate enough now that I still have a few friends around who can drive me, but it gets harder the busier people get. I’m trying to enjoy it while I can before everyone I know has careers and families and is totally time-consumed by those things.

• ryan-berhar-2

May 21, 2018 at 1:05 pm

I hate being in those kinds of situations, Kevin. Haha. I pretty much never go to peoples houses. I generally just meet in public places.

• kevin-schaefer

May 22, 2018 at 9:54 am

I don’t do it often. I definitely prefer public places, but there are a few friend’s houses and apartments that are accessible. I’ll take what I can get.

• ryan-berhar-2

May 22, 2018 at 4:49 pm

Yeah I totally understand. Unfortunately for me, my two good friends here in town live in second story apartments, so that’s completely off the table for me.