SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Giving Your Caregivers Time Off for Holidays

• Giving Your Caregivers Time Off for Holidays

Posted by kevin-schaefer on May 29, 2018 at 5:05 pm

In the U.S. we just had a holiday weekend for Memorial Day, and as such I gave my caregiver time off for it. It’s not a big deal, but nevertheless it means that my parents have to take care of all my daily needs on holidays. The same is true during Christmas and Thanksgiving, or when my caregiver is on vacation.

I know it’s necessary to give caregivers time off, but it can also be frustrating because I can sometimes feel burdensome when it’s my parents getting me up and ready in the morning. It’s not so much that they mind doing it, but the fact is it takes them longer to get me ready than it does my caregiver. They’re older of course, and the process is a bit more extensive for them. Whereas my caregiver just picks me up pretty effortlessly, my parents rely on my hoyer lift. My Dad can still lift me, but it takes some additional effort.

I don’t let this kind of thing get to me as much as I used to, but there’s still a certain toll this takes on my mental health. If I’m ever feeling in any way burdensome, I remind myself that my parents would do anything for me and to not feel guilty when my caregiver isn’t around. We’re in a much better place than we used to be, and it’s ok that I don’t have PCAs 24/7.

What about you all? Have you experienced similar thoughts or situations? What do you do when your caregiver is on vacation or it’s a holiday?

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.