SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research Spinraza (nusinersen) Going in for my First Maintenance Dose

• Going in for my First Maintenance Dose

Posted by kevin-schaefer on April 30, 2018 at 12:48 pm

This Wednesday I go in for my first maintenance dose (so my fifth injection). Due to insurance issues, I didn’t receive confirmation until today that Medicaid is still covering it. They’ve been cutting back, and it took several phone calls back and forth to determine whether or not they would keep paying. Don’t you love insurance companies??

I’m not really making a big deal out of it, mainly because I’m tired of people asking me about its effects. I don’t know about you all, but it’s like people outside the SMA community just want it to have magical effects and work instantly. I’m totally fine with it just stopping the progression. I try to explain that it takes time, but at this point I’m kind of tired of explaining it to people. I’ll keep everyone here updated though.

I’m pretty relaxed about it, given that the loading doses went smoothly. I was much more anxious before the first injection. Now I’m just like, “stick the needle in me and let me go home” lol.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

May 1, 2018 at 1:33 pm

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes.  Do you do any prep beforehand?  I know some do extra hydration and caffeine loading prior to the dose to prevent the spinal headaches.

• kevin-schaefer

May 1, 2018 at 1:56 pm

Thanks! And yep just trying to drink as much as I can. I’ll post an update here on Friday.