SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Going to the Dentist

Tagged: , ,

• Going to the Dentist

Posted by ryan-berhar-2 on July 30, 2018 at 7:06 pm

Last week, I went to a new dentist, and it didn’t go so well. I can’t really open my mouth at all, so the entire process is a huge pain. We couldn’t get decent x rays, and the cleaning was also difficult. Do you guys have similar issues? If so, have you figured out ways to make the dentist easier?

david-z replied 5 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • michael-morale

July 30, 2018 at 7:45 pm

It makes it difficult for me because I can’t transfer from my wheelchair to their examination chair. I really need to find a good dentist.

• ryan-berhar-2

July 30, 2018 at 7:54 pm

Well leaving your wheelchair shouldn’t be necessary as far as I’m concerned. Unless your chair doesn’t recline I guess.

• michael-morale

July 30, 2018 at 8:22 pm

No, my chair doesn’t recline, but my new one does.

• deann-r

July 30, 2018 at 9:56 pm

I have to transfer as well.  My chair tilts back, but the office is too small for my chair and the hygienist.  Last time I felt like my arm was practically broken during the transfer.

Do they use pediatric x-rays Ryan?  It’s still a tight fit, but that’s what we do.  Heaven forbid I’d need work done.  Sorry, it’s just as much as a struggle for me so no good advice.

• michael-morale

July 31, 2018 at 7:57 am

I think it’s a struggle for anyone in our condition. There’s got to be an accessible dentist for us somewhere in our cities, they’re just hidden.

• kevin-schaefer

July 31, 2018 at 11:35 am

Fortunately my Mom was able to find an office a few years ago that works with a lot of patients with disabilities. They accept Medicaid, and they allow me to stay in my chair during appointments. I know these types of specialized offices are rare, but if you can find one then great.

And yeah like DeAnn said, pediatric x-rays might be worth asking about. Still, dentist appointments can be a hassle for us. Fingers crossed the next time will go smoother.

• ryan-berhar-2

July 31, 2018 at 7:35 pm

Well I’m not sure if it’s pediatric, but I believe they used the smallest device possible. I’ll be sure to mention that in future appointments. Fortunately, I have never had the transfer issue. That sucks.

• michael-morale

August 1, 2018 at 11:59 am

My dentist usually works on me when I’m sitting in my wheelchair, but this is becoming more and more difficult.

• david-z

August 5, 2018 at 1:57 am

One tip: the OraStretch helps significantly with opening the jaw, although its price is absurd. I stretch daily prior to a dentist visit, then immediately before the procedure. My hygienist says it makes a big difference.

http://www.craniorehab.com/orastretch-press-jaw-motion-rehab.html