• Holiday Gatherings

Posted by brianna-albers on December 19, 2018 at 7:00 am

Hi everyone! With the holidays coming up, I was wondering how y’all navigate the season. My family doesn’t really live close to any of our relatives, which actually works out pretty well—we live in MN, so we don’t usually see many people during the wintertime to keep me from catching a cold or the flu. I’m used to it at this point, but it does make me sad on occasion.

Do you stay at home during the holiday season? If so, how does that affect your celebrations, if at all? We usually get together with my mom’s side of the family during Thanksgiving, but that’s oftentimes the last time we see people until spring. It’s hard seeing pictures of holiday gatherings on social media and not being able to relate—I’m a social introvert, so I like being around people if it’s in small doses.

If you do stay at home, do you have any holiday traditions? How do you “feel” the holiday spirit when your SMA prevents you from participating in certain activities? Let us know in the comments below!

brianna-albers replied 5 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • deann-r

December 19, 2018 at 12:15 pm

Crank up those holiday tunes!  I also enjoy a lot of the holiday specials on TV.  I have a pretty small family, but I still go out to my Mom’s on Christmas Eve and stay till Christmas Day.  My sister and her family join us Xmas Eve. We do a movie, meal and presents. Xmas day is usually just Mom & myself.  It’s kind of funny, my sister doesn’t want to do presents anymore.  Can’t figure that one out because there’s just the two of us.  I usually get my nieces something then their family something as a whole.  They usually get me something as a family.  I’m always going to get my nieces and Mom something so not sure what the big deal is over 1 present.  Oh well, we’ll see what next year brings.

• brianna-albers

January 4, 2019 at 1:58 pm

Yes to holiday music! 🙌 I put together a playlist of my favorite holiday music this year, which was pretty fun. I’m glad you’re able to spend time with your family though – that’s always important!

• ryan-berhar-2

December 19, 2018 at 10:03 pm

I live in Bend, OR and have a bunch of family in the Portland area. Usually at least some of them come down for Christmas. There’s no shortage of family for me around the holidays.

• brianna-albers

January 4, 2019 at 2:00 pm

That’s great! We visited my cousin and her husband in SC last month, which was fun – we hadn’t seen her in about a year, so it was great catching up with her.

• krystal

December 21, 2018 at 3:31 pm

I lived a sheltered life as a child, and was very restricted when it came to watching TV. I did not get to watch a Charlie Brown Christmas, or Frosty the Snowman, or other Holiday movies/specials. Now that I have a daughter, I am EXCITED to watch all of the Disney movies, holiday movies, and more, as she grows up and gets older. I always enjoyed family movies when I got to watch them, so I’m sure it’ll be blast for me–I mean her–to watch the movies with me 🙂

• brianna-albers

January 4, 2019 at 2:03 pm

I’m glad you’re finding joy in discovering all those movies!! That’s great. My parents and I usually try and watch at least one holiday movie, but this year (still not used to 2019 yet) we watched LOTR, which was just as enjoyable. It’s all about what makes you happy!

• adnan-hafizovic

December 26, 2018 at 10:47 am

I just congratulate you Brianna,your themes are always good and realistic.I also like you feel sometimes sad when are the holidays.But of course we must think positive and push away sadness.

• brianna-albers

January 4, 2019 at 2:05 pm

Thanks Adnan! That means a lot. 😊 It’s hard being sad during the holidays because it feels like everyone around you is happy – it’s almost like you have to feel nothing but joy the entire time. But I try and remember that my sadness just means I’m longing for connection, which is a normal part of life and just as healthy as joy. It’s not easy though!