SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Home Renovation and SMA

• Home Renovation and SMA

Posted by deann-r on July 8, 2022 at 8:58 am

A home renovation project has finally come to fruition. Not only am I excited but I’m also apprehensive. The end goal is to make my bathroom and doorways more wheelchair friendly. My fear is that my body is so used to how I have things set up that changes will make it more challenging. Think positive right? I’ll be able to get through the doors without taking out my elbow. If I can open the door that is, and reach the sink, and the faucet…eek!

The renovation also means I’ll be displaced for a few weeks. In other words, living with my mom. It’ll be an adjustment for both of us. She’s not keen on having caregivers coming in and out of her house. The timing worked out because it just so happened one of my PCAs is taking two weeks off for a family reunion. The last time Mom did my care for that long was Covid 2020. I do have one PCA who will help lighten the load a bit. It’d be so much easier if I could just use the bathroom at the gas station and shower at the YMCA.

We’ll manage. We always do. Any tips on making the process easier? How about home renovation tips? Do’s or don’ts to be aware of?

micaela-macdougall replied 1 year, 9 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • micaela-macdougall

July 8, 2022 at 12:09 pm

Boy do I get the fear of making changes when your body has gotten used to something.

If you don’t mind me asking, what bathroom renovations are you doing?  I’m actually renovating my bathroom right now too.  I’ve just moved, so I’m turning the bathroom into a wetroom.  I’m a big fan of the Schluter system that lets you create totally curbless showers.  And I have the benefit of a dad who’s a contractor.  (If you have any specific renovating questions, I’m happy to ask his advice.)