SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA How a Service Dog Can Change People’s Perceptions

• deann-r

March 16, 2019 at 9:44 am

My service dog definitely makes me more approachable.  I’ve had a couple responses where people have been afraid of him.  Not him in particular but just a dog in general.  I’ve also had people mistake him for a seeing eye dog.  It was funny hearing, “How can she drive a wheelchair if she can’t see?”  What made it even funnier is that it was an adult.  You certainly have to be willing to talk about dogs, their dogs in particular.  Unlike Alyssa’s organization where I got mine discourages outside attention.  Most people don’t see that “please don’t pet” patch on his vest, and I feel bad reprimanding anyone.  I’m not sure I like the extra attention a service dog brings, but I guess it’s better than being ignored or avoided which is the typical response.  It does break the ice I guess, so that’s something.  Ironic, and kind of sad, that a dog can humanize you in someone else’s eyes.

• kevin-schaefer

March 18, 2019 at 6:11 pm

Yep, both of those scenarios have happened to me multiple times. I use the “I’m blind and in a power wheelchair” line quite often. It is astounding how many adults think we have seeing eye dogs.

I know what you mean about how the attention can be really annoying, and in some cases demeaning. For me, I can’t tell you how many people have come up to me, talked to me like I’m a five year-old, and said “she’s your best friend isn’t she?!”

I really hate that line. It’s like they think that my dog is my only friend, and they just don’t talk to me like I’m an adult. It’s incredibly irritating. So yes, I understand your frustrations.

• ryan-berhar

March 18, 2019 at 6:48 pm

When I was eight or so, I got a service dog. I only had her for two or three years, because I didn’t enjoy having her. She brought a ridiculous amount of attention, which my introverted self hated. Dogs have really grown on me since, however.