SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA How Do You Stay Positive?

• How Do You Stay Positive?

Posted by deann-r on October 23, 2020 at 10:26 am

We have snow. A lot of snow. In fact I just heard we surpassed the snowiest October on record here in Minnesota. Even surpassing the infamous ’91 Halloween blizzard. Other than being able to boast about it down the road I’m not finding much positive about it. It already stinks I’ve basically been in hibernation mode since last November. At least during the summer months I was able to enjoy the backyard. Now I’m confined to the house. Probably for months. Pandemic fatigue has set in big time in my area, so folks are being reckless. That means I have to be extra cautious as well. Needless to say staying positive is getting difficult. Usually I try to look on the bright side. Not having much luck with that. How do you stay positive?

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • alyssa-silva

October 23, 2020 at 3:07 pm

We don’t have any snow (that’s crazy, by the way!), but I understand what you’re going through as I’m in a similar place. I, too, have pandemic fatigue, but unlike most people, I haven’t really left the house. I definitely share your frustrations, so I don’t know that I’d be much help to your question.

however, I can tell you that it is very normal to feel this way right now. For me, I have hobbies or activities that bring me joy. Whether it’s illustrating or watching my favorite show on Netflix, I try to do something every day that makes me happy. I also have a friend or two that I confide in when I’m at my lowest— which is often these days.

It’s also important to recognize that staying positive all the time isn’t realistic. We’re human. We experience feelings. All of them. Some days will be harder than others, and that’s ok. Some days, I’ll actually go to bed and think “ok, I’m one day closer to life post-pandemic than I was when I woke up this morning.” Hahaha it’s probably not the healthiest way to handle things, but that’s how I get by sometimes.