SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA How Podcasting Has Helped Me as Someone with SMA

• How Podcasting Has Helped Me as Someone with SMA

Posted by kevin-schaefer on June 25, 2018 at 10:35 am

About three years ago, I ventured into the world of podcasting. I started out as a guest on a friend’s pop-culture podcast, and since then I’ve become a regular on that show (all of our content is available at http://www.thejoyofgeek.net). My friend Rich and I record at my house or over Skype, and it’s one of the things I look forward to the most every weekend. We talk movies, comics, tv, video games, and we also host panels at comicons and interview comic book creators.

From there I launched the SMA News Today Podcast (https://m.soundcloud.com/sma-news-today) once I started working full-time here at BioNews. On this show, I talk with people who live with SMA, parents and caregivers and I’m currently working on getting some medical professionals on as guests. I love doing this podcast, because while it does have a more niche audience, it’s fully accessible to anyone.

In the age of multimedia entertainment, podcasting is incredibly accessible for those of us with SMA. If you have a computer, a recording software like audacity, a good mic and a platform to put your podcast on (SoundCloud is free), you can start your own show. It requires little to no physical strength, and if you need you can have someone set you up with all your equipment. All you need is an idea for what you want your podcast to be about, and whether you want to do it by yourself or with someone. It can also be a great way to educate others about SMA, and about how you live your life.

I can honestly say that podcasting has been great for my mental health and well-being, as it’s helped me explore my passions and connect with some great people. SMA can no doubt be restricting, but there are so many mediums today and activities to do that don’t require a ton of physical ability. If any of you are looking into starting a podcast, I highly encourage you to go for it. I’m also happy to answer any questions you have about it.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • michael-morale

June 26, 2018 at 8:14 am

I completely understand your feelings about podcasting. I’ve been producing YouTube videos for a few years now, and just recently started my own podcasts. I find podcasting to be much easier because I can speak more freely without having to worry about what I look like on video. Plus, editing an audio track is much easier than trying to edit video.

• kevin-schaefer

June 26, 2018 at 9:31 am

I agree Michael. It’s a really unique medium. Are there any you like to listen to? There’s a ton out there, but generally I like ones that have to do with entertainment, interviews, etc.

• deann-r

July 4, 2018 at 9:03 am

I’m new to the Podcast world.  How do you even find ones of interest to listen to?

• kevin-schaefer

July 5, 2018 at 10:12 am

So first off, you want to pick some topics that you’re interested in. For me I like entertainment and pop-culture, human interest and comedy. As such, some of my favorite shows to listen to are “Fat Man On Batman,” “Nerdist,” “Beautiful Anonymous” and comedian Bill Burr’s podcast.

There are many platforms you can listen to them on: Spotify, Podbean, SoundCloud, etc. Once you find a show you like, you’ll receive other recommendations on the app you’re using and you can check those shows out too. It’s just like music. But whether I’m at home working or commuting, I love listening to podcasts. I can guarantee you’ll find some shows that will peak your interest.

• deann-r

July 5, 2018 at 10:22 pm

OK…like I said podcast newbie…how for example would I get your SMA podcast on my Echo Show?

• kevin-schaefer

July 6, 2018 at 10:01 am

So the podcast isn’t available there currently, but you can listen to the flash briefings there. If you search SMA News Today on the Alexa app it should appear, and you can subscribe. For the podcast, I’d recommend listening to it on SoundCloud or Podbean on your phone or computer.

• deann-r

July 8, 2018 at 6:14 pm

Cool. Thanks.  I can see where listening to podcasts will be interesting. Especially during winter months when I’m stuck in the house.

• kevin-schaefer

July 8, 2018 at 6:46 pm

Definitely. They’re great for that, when you’re commuting or traveling, etc. Let me know which ones you check out!