SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA How Wicca and Spirituality Have Helped This SMA Columnist

• halsey-blocher

April 17, 2019 at 9:06 pm

I’m not super familiar with Wicca, but I can relate to the impact my religion has on my life and SMA journey. Every aspect of my life is grounded in faith, and it has heavily influenced how I approach SMA.

• ryan-berhar

April 17, 2019 at 10:41 pm

What Halsey said.

• halsey-blocher

April 18, 2019 at 9:04 pm

Such profound words of wisdom! 😂

• katie-elizabeth-napiwocki

April 18, 2019 at 4:33 pm

Faith is a strong coping element for many people, and I enjoyed reading about Kala’s journey with Wicca. I thought it was interesting, and it’s wonderful when people feel uplifted by their beliefs.

I also applaud Kala for being open about her experiences.  I find it incredibly valuable when people are willing to share their beliefs so that we can learn more about each other; in turn, we better understand how to support each other by considering their perspective in life.

Personally, I have always struggled with faith.  Being outside, in nature, is always where I find a profound sense of peace.  I also find feel the greatest amount of love and acceptance toward myself (and my SMA) when I’m outdoors.  I’ve personally never felt that from any religion.

When I started treatment with Spinraza, I also struggled with this issue.  Many people would say things to me like, “You’re in my prayers.”  And, while I appreciated any form of positivity that might come my way, I didn’t connect with it.  When I began seeing results from Spinraza and shared it on social media, again — comments flowed, such as “God is good”, etc.  I actually felt offended by that because I was the one who fought for treatment, endured the hardship, and put a great deal of work into physical therapy to help gain some strength back.  It was at that point, I made some positive and constructive comments about how I’ve invested belief in myself, and the people around me who have been uplifting in my life.

I respect all beliefs and perspectives.  And overall, I think it’s awesome when people are willing to share what helps them cope with SMA.  🙂