SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA I’m Back! Well, Sort Of… Here’s the Scoop.

• I’m Back! Well, Sort Of… Here’s the Scoop.

Posted by alyssa-silva on February 16, 2022 at 11:00 am

Hi all. Long time no talk. It’s been a minute since I last posted, but DeAnn has been holding down the fort, and for that, I’m the luckiest coworker. A lot has happened in these last 2 weeks but it basically boils down to this:

I’m in the hospital and have been since January 31st. My health issues have been out of control for months now, so I came in under a scheduled admission to get treated using nutrition and trialing some new meds. Unfortunately, I had some unexpected and significant setbacks that veered me off course for a while. I’m not ready to talk about it as I’m still processing everything. But! I’m doing so much better.

That being said, I still have a long way to go. Thinking about what’s ahead and how I’m not out of the woods yet is daunting. I’ve already been through so much, and there’s so much left to deal with. There are so many what if’s.

How do you cope with all the unknowns?

tammy replied 2 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • anna

February 17, 2022 at 3:10 am

Sorry to hear that, Alyssa. If only I had a magic recipe for dealing with situations like this, I’d be more than happy to release intellectual property rights! However, there’s one thing I can tell you from personal experience with hospitalizations and prolonged illness: this overwhelming feeling of extreme weakness and paralyzing fear that you’ll never bounce back completely, is temporary and – to a certain extent – illusory. You can trust me on this one, unfounded and unnecessary what-if scenarios are my field of expertise!

And another thing I try to remind myself of is that SMA is all about adapting to changing circumstances and modifying your lifestyle. So, what now seems insurmountable, will have become second nature to you in a few months.

Hope you feel better soon! I’ll be sending out positive vibes from sunny Athens!

• losmi

February 17, 2022 at 7:34 am

I am sad to hear this Alyssa.

Sending you good vibes! ????????????????✨

• deann-r

February 17, 2022 at 11:34 am

So glad to have you back with us! We missed you and wish you continued recovery. Group hug!

• tammy

February 17, 2022 at 2:42 pm

So sorry to hear this! Hope you get better ASAP! Hang in there