• Injection #6

Posted by kevin-schaefer on September 5, 2018 at 2:45 pm

I go in tomorrow for my 6th injection (second maintenance dose). I’ve been too busy to give it much thought, but really I haven’t been nervous about the injections sincee I got through the first couple loading doses.

Today’s pretty normal, and I’m just drinking extra liquids to prepare. I’ve avoided spinal headaches and other side effects so far in the process, and I’m just trying to keep it that way.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • deann-r

September 5, 2018 at 4:07 pm

Good luck! Keep us posted!

• kevin-schaefer

September 5, 2018 at 8:02 pm

Thanks! And will do.

• mike-huddleston

September 5, 2018 at 5:36 pm

Hey Kevin –

Good, positive  attitude!  Good luck!  Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

• kevin-schaefer

September 6, 2018 at 7:41 pm

It went well today. At this point, my injections are just becoming another part of my routine, and it’s nice that I only have to go in every four months now.

Really the part I’m most anxious about each time is transferring out of my wheelchair. They have a good electric hoyer lift at Duke, but some doctors and assistants are better at using it than others. Today, one of the nursing assistants was a little cocky and thought he knew how to handle me exactly. I had to really make sure he listened to me and got the sling in properly. Always be ready to advocate for yourself.

The injection itself wasn’t any different from the previous ones, though my neurologist is still a bit nervous each time the radiologist does the cervical injection. For me, this method has worked great, and I’m happy to keep doing it.

I took it easy the rest of the day, and I’m feeling fine now. I’ll probably post more tomorrow about my status post-injection. Thanks for everyone’s support here. And if you are still in the process of trying to acquire Spinraza, please let me know if you have any questions.

• deann-r

September 6, 2018 at 9:19 pm

Glad to hear it went well.

• kevin-schaefer

September 7, 2018 at 9:55 am

Thanks!

• deann-r

September 7, 2018 at 11:34 am

Do you get any soreness in your neck from the injection?

• kevin-schaefer

September 7, 2018 at 1:49 pm

Fortunately no. I try to keep my head leaned back after the injection for most of the day, but it doesn’t hurt or anything. Yesterday I came home and ate lunch, watched tv for a bit and then napped for a few hours. By around 8:00 I was already feeling back to normal. Since I napped it took me a little longer to fall asleep last night, and as such I’m a little tired today. Still, no pain or headaches and I’m fine working today.

• mike-huddleston

September 7, 2018 at 7:37 pm

Glad to hear it went well, Kevin.  I have my first maintenance dose (#5 overall) at the end of October.  I was only a little apprehensive prior to my initial dose.  That one was a little rough as although they had fluoroscopy available, they opted not to use it initially.  The other 3 went much better as they utilized the fluoroscopy, so my expectations are guided by those rather than the first one.  Just like hearing of other’s experiences that are close to mine.  🙂

• ryan-berhar-2

September 8, 2018 at 5:16 pm

Glad it went well man!