• Intestinal Spasms

Posted by alyssa-silva on April 20, 2020 at 1:00 pm

Hey all. The past few weeks I’ve been experiencing frequent intestinal spasms— something that is new for me.

I do have a lot of GI issues, so I wonder if that is playing a role. But, when I exert any sort of physical activity (ie. Rolling over, sitting up, etc), the spasms occur which leads me to wonder if it’s muscle weakness. I’m overdue for Spinraza because Boston (where I get my shots) is the latest hotspot for Covid, and the hospitals have canceled all non-emergency procedures. So, I am getting weaker.

At the same time, taking Mylanta stops the spasms for a little while, so then I go back to thinking it’s GI-related.

I don’t get it. I’m frustrated beyond belief— especially since I don’t want to expose myself to a doctor’s office/hospital setting right now.

The most debilitating part: because I’m a belly breather, I struggle to get a breath in when a spasm happens. They usually only last 2-3 seconds, so my oxygen doesn’t dip thankfully. It’s just scary!

Have you ever experienced whatever this is? If so, any at-home remedies? I’m trying to hold off on seeing a doctor, so I thought I’d check here first.

alyssa-silva replied 4 years ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • dennis-turner

April 20, 2020 at 2:17 pm

I had my last shot at MGH, they considered it a critical procedure. Hopefully the surge will be past by May when i am scheduled for my next loading shot.

Don’t know what to say about your intestinal spasms.

• alyssa-silva

April 20, 2020 at 6:28 pm

That’s interesting because I get my done at Boston Children’s, and they’re in much better shape than MGH right now. I assumed Spinraza would be critical so my heart sank when I was told otherwise. We’ll see how long this surge lasts and how much my body declines. I was 2 weeks late to a dose last year and took a hard hit. I fear that’ll happen again and then I’ll run into bigger problems if, God forbid, I get sick. Hopefully we both get shots in May.