SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Labor Day Weekend Plans

• Labor Day Weekend Plans

Posted by kevin-schaefer on August 31, 2018 at 7:00 am

So in my friend group (or one of them), I’m usually the one who initiates get-togethers and makes plans to hang out. This is simply because I have to plan my social life in order to make sure I have rides and that the times work out for me. I have to coordinate around caregiver schedules, and I’m sure most of us here can relate.

For Labor Day weekend, my plans are pretty simple. Some friends and I are hanging out on Saturday, seeing a movie and getting dinner afterwards. Several theatre chains are playing every film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe all weekend, so my friends and I are definitely jumping in on that. I also have church on Sunday, writing, my pop-culture podcast and catching up on sleep. Work has been going great, but it’s a busy season here at BioNews. I’m looking forward to just taking it easy this weekend.

What about you all? What are your plans for the long weekend?

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • deann-r

September 2, 2018 at 11:23 am

For me this is a “cheat” weekend.  Many of you know I have a feeding tube, but cheat occasionally with food.  This is the weekend where I say, I’m eating what I want.  Of course there’s a few things I always avoid, popcorn, corn on the cob, nuts, basically things that don’t break down.  My favorite cheat of the weekend is a tossup between a flatbread pizza and the fresh shrimp we sauteed over the fire.  Yum!  Did y’all have any good eats?

• kevin-schaefer

September 3, 2018 at 2:59 pm

Hey nothing wrong with eating unhealthy every now and then. My parents and I went to Red Lobster yesterday, and I definitely devoured their shrimp and cheese biscuits.

• ryan-berhar-2

September 3, 2018 at 3:05 pm

This weekend was RIDICULOUS for me. I left home Saturday around noon to make the two hour drive to Eugene for the Oregon football opener at 5:00. Then around 9:00, we drove from Eugene to Portland (about two more hours). Sunday morning, we had to race (pun intended) to get to an indycar race. There were a number of donors there. I got to meet and thank them, and show them how JACO works. It was overall a fantastic weekend, but it was also a bit much for me to take. The constant go go go takes a toll. I can’t function unless everything is just so. I’ll detail the experience better in a column soon.

• kevin-schaefer

September 4, 2018 at 11:40 am

That’s really cool that you got to meet some of the donors to your JACO campaign. And yeah, I understand that doing a lot takes a toll on your energy level. Still, I’m glad you were able to do everything and have a good time.