SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Looking for a Social Worker

• Looking for a Social Worker

Posted by brianna-albers on October 16, 2020 at 7:00 am

So I’ve been thinking a lot about the future and what would happen to me if something were to happen to my parents. I would like to prepare for that, just in case, but I have NO idea how to go about it. My mom has handled pretty much everything up till now, but she’s set to retire in a few years. I would really like to start transitioning care in preparation.

Any ideas on how to go about that? A social worker, maybe?

brianna-albers replied 3 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • kelly-miller

October 16, 2020 at 11:17 am

Brianna, when you say your mom has handled everything, what do you mean by everything?

• patrick-lenihan

October 17, 2020 at 9:03 am

This should be a good resource for planning for your future.

https://disabilityhubmn.org/

• deann-r

October 17, 2020 at 10:16 am

Do you have outside nurses or caregivers at all?  It’s never fun getting outside help, but definitely takes the strain off your parents. In my case I contacted the county public health office.  They do an evaluation and set you up with a social worker.  For my care I go through an agency where I can choose my workers.  Some people do consumer directed care I think it’s called.  If I’m not mistaken you get a budget and have to work within that but have more flexibility with your cares.  Another option is going through an agency where they send caregivers. That was my least favorite because you never knew who you’d get.

You say your mom handles everything. I suggest being as hands on as possible. It’s so much easier to let mom do it, but in the long run it’s beneficial to be involved.

• brianna-albers

October 20, 2020 at 4:27 pm

@Kelly and DeAnn – Finances, insurance, caregiving, life planning, etc. I’ve tried to take control, or even just learn what’s necessary, but my mom… likes to be in control, and just thinks it’s easier to do it herself, lol

• brianna-albers

October 20, 2020 at 4:28 pm

I actually went through them and they weren’t much help. 🙁 They pretty much just gave me a number for a social worker, which was a dead end.