SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA My Weekly Journal – 09/10 Through 09/16

  • My Weekly Journal – 09/10 Through 09/16

    Posted by michael-morale on September 16, 2018 at 11:24 am
    Monday, September 10, Through Sunday, September 16 – This is been an interesting week, full of surprises and possible questions. I spent the majority of the week recovering from my pneumonia. Every day, while on my antibiotic, my doctor recommended that I lay down for a few hours each day. I did this all the way through Thursday, until I finished my antibiotic. Once I was finished with the antibiotic, I forced myself to stay up the entire day so that I could begin getting myself ready to try to bring a little normalcy back in my life. I will say that taking a nap every day did feel good, but when you’re trying to recover and your trying to get back to a normal type of day, taking naps will not help you. After my antibiotics were completed, I began drinking my protein drinks again and my muscles started feeling better immediately. Every day, I felt like I gained a little bit more of my strength back and by Saturday, I was pretty much back to normal with regards to my energy level in the way that I felt.
    Most of you know that I went to work for a company called Bionews Services full time during the first part of August. Bionews Services has treated me with the utmost respect and allowed me to make a full recovery without any undue pressure to make a quick return. I told them that since I’ve been off for over ten days, there would be no hard feelings if they wanted to dock my pay because I knew that they had a business to run. I received emails from the two owners of the company telling me that under no circumstance would they dock my pay and they told me to take my time during my recovery and to make sure that I was taking care of myself and that my job would be there whenever I returned. I have worked for numerous companies in the past and none of them treated me with the respect and dignity that Bionews Services did. My first full day back to work was on Thursday, and I can say without any hesitation that I not only enjoy my job, I enjoy those who I work with.
    When I got out of the hospital, the doctors recommended that I get a vest to wear that would vibrate to help loosen some of the phlegm in my lungs. After speaking with the company that was going to provide this vest to me, they brought it out and unfortunately, I was unable to wear it. This vest weighed nearly 20 pounds and it was so cumbersome, I couldn’t even get it on. They said that they make different sizes and thicknesses of these vests, but the company that I was going through only handled that particular brand. I have an appointment with a pulmonologist on October 16, and I will speak with him about getting a cough assist machine versus a vest. The cough assist will push air into my lungs and then pull the air out of my lungs with the same amount of force that an able-bodied person would use to cough. This will allow me to get up much of the phlegm and mucus that is in my lungs up and out of my lungs, and will allow me to breathe better at night. Most of the people that I’ve spoken to regarding the cough assist tell me that it works much better than the vest and that I would probably have better results.
    I sent Laura an email during the first part of the week and gave her an update as to my status. She wrote me back and told me to continue working on my recovery and not to worry about trying to come back to physical therapy too early. I do feel as if I’m back faster than what the doctors told me that I would, and I gave a lot of credit to this due to the fact that I was taking physical therapy before I got sick. Most everyone that I spoke with told me that it usually takes one week of recovery for every day that you spend in the hospital. That means that it would take me nearly a month to make a full recovery, and since it’s only been a week and a half since I returned home from the hospital, I attributed my physical therapy to my ability to recover as quickly as I did. Laura agreed that this probably was the case. I told her that I would probably be ready to resume my workouts the week of September 24. She told me the only thing that we would have to do is to reevaluate me during my first session, and then we could resume where we left off, as if nothing had ever happened. We will probably begin working out my core muscles for a week or two just to bring them back up to shape, and then we will begin working on my legs and my stretching, which involves me transferring out of my wheelchair to one of her therapy tables. Either way I’m excited to get back to work with Laura. I missed seeing her and working out with her every week. It’s amazing how when you make friends, and then you don’t see them for over a month, you miss them, and I have missed Laura and working out with her. It’ll also be nice to get back to a normal routine and leave some of this uncertainty behind.
    For those of you that are reading my journal entry, thank you for keeping up with my recovery and please accept my apology for not doing a video over the last couple of weeks. It’s been nice being able to take a small break, but I look forward to doing a video this upcoming week and having it ready for Sunday, September 23. In my video on the twenty-third, I will give everyone an update as to how I’m doing and I will also answer a few questions that some of you sent me during my recovery. I hope that everyone has had a fantastic week and I also hope that you do something for yourself this upcoming week that’s going to make you a better person. God bless you and until next Sunday.
    To view my website, click on the following link:
    michael-morale replied 5 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

Log in to reply.