SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA On Motivation and Setting Goals

• On Motivation and Setting Goals

Posted by kevin-schaefer on February 21, 2019 at 7:00 am

I know we talk a lot here about things like mental health, and how we can get stuck in a rut sometimes. Especially during the winter, it’s typical for a lot of people with SMA to feel pretty isolated and trapped. I’ve definitely felt this way before.

Recently though, I’ve been accomplishing a lot of goals that I had set for myself, and it feels great. At the start of the year, some of my goals included: hiring more caregivers, writing and producing more comics, doing panels at comic cons, and taking more out-of-town trips.

I’m happy to say that after setting my mind to these things, I’ve been able to accomplish quite a bit over the past couple months. I hired a friend to work with me on the weekends, mostly to drive me around and help me out at the house. I also started with a new caregiving agency so I could hire Saturday morning caregivers. Both of these have helped tremendously with me gaining more independence.

In terms of my comics work, I just pitched to two anthologies, and I’m writing long-form projects as well. I also have a convention coming up next month, and I get to interview a legendary comics writer there. Since I’ve become friends with all of the people who run my local convention over the past few years, they’ve all been great about giving me opportunities. Plus it’s just a blast going to these shows and meeting creators.

I’ve also had some great times with friends lately, and I have things to look forward to in the coming weeks. This weekend I have my brother’s engagement party, and I’m having brunch with some SMA friends on Sunday. Then in about a week I’m getting together with some friends out of town for the day. I was thinking about going to Charlotte this Friday, as one of my friends from that group is going to a Make A Wish fundraiser, but the weather is pretty terrible this week and it’s a long drive. But thankfully I’ve got other things with friends this week.

The point I’m making here is that it’s absolutely possible to combat the mental effects of SMA. If I can manage all of this on top of my full-time job and physical therapy and doctor appointments, then you can do it too. I just wanted to post this to encourage everyone here. Setting specific goals instead of broad ones has really helped me.

What obstacles are you currently facing? Do you have any specific goals in mind that you want to accomplish in the near future? What are these goals?

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.