SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Prepping for 2019, Physical Therapy, and Wintery Weather

• Prepping for 2019, Physical Therapy, and Wintery Weather

Posted by kevin-schaefer on December 10, 2018 at 7:00 am

It’s pretty crazy that 2018 is wrapping up! Here at BioNews Services, we’re in full 2019-preparation mode. As such, most of this past week for me consisted of conference calls, project planning, and getting the last of our podcasts and videos for the SMA site scheduled for the rest of the year. It’s a busy time for sure, but I love it. I love working for a company that’s dedicated to raising awareness of many rare diseases, as well as amplifying patient and caregiver voices. It’s a true privilege to have this job and to work with so many great people.

My only medical appointment this week was my regular physical therapy. Due to schedules at the clinic I go to filling up fast around this time, I worked with a different physical therapist than usual. My regular therapist Jean was still there to help this person with my routine, as she’ll be working with me for the next few weeks. Michael Morale and I actually just did a podcast about our experiences with physical therapy, and in it I talked about what it’s like working with multiple therapists.

I’ve been very fortunate that all of the therapists I’ve worked with at this facility have been fantastic, and this time was no different. Really, it’s just a matter of them learning the specifics of my routine and which parts of my body are the most sensitive. I also kind of liked having my appointment toward the end of the week, as I usually have PT on Mondays. Having it on Thursday this time allowed me to get a lot done during the first part of the week, and then relax going into my appointment. The appointment itself went well, and I’ve been trying some different exercises lately. One in particular that Jean has been having me try is to roll on my side while I’m in the pool. It’s challenging on account of my dead-weight when I’m in the water, but it’s been a good challenge for me. I’ve also been doing a lot of kicking and stretching my arms. I may not see immediate results from PT, but just doing it on a weekly basis makes me feel stronger.

This weekend in North Carolina, we got a blast of winter weather. I woke up on Sunday to more than five inches of snow on the ground, and just spent the day relaxing and getting ready for the week. My caregiver of course had to stay home with all of the roads around here closed, and as such my Dad got me up and ready in the morning and to bed at night. Like I said in my last column, we make due around this time of year. Fortunately, I was able to hang out with a friend on Saturday before the storm hit, so I wasn’t stuck inside the house all weekend.

Also, my brother got engaged this weekend! I’m already prepping my embarrassing speech for him at the wedding.

Hope everyone here is enjoying the holiday season and staying safe. I am all for vaccines, so get your flu shot if you haven’t! I hope you all have a great week ahead, and let me know if there are any topics you’d like to discuss here that we have yet to cover. Take care.

deann-r replied 5 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • deann-r

December 10, 2018 at 11:32 am

You have more snow than we do in Minnesota!