SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Problems with secretions/phlegm

• Problems with secretions/phlegm

Posted by swadez on January 12, 2023 at 2:39 pm

47 year old male with SMA Type 2.

Generally well but seem to be getting a lot of phlegm – or what doctors call secretions – in my throat when I lie down. Then need some help to get up and spit it out. Seems endless unless I take a hot drink or take some painkillers.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to sort this out?

anna replied 1 year, 3 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

January 12, 2023 at 5:17 pm

Hi Swadez. Have you tried doing saline nebulizers to break the secretions up? Sometimes thinning them out helps me swallow them better. You could also use a suction machine with a yankauer for your mouth to suck them out.

• deann-r

January 12, 2023 at 10:00 pm

Hmmm…I wonder what’s causing the secretions. It could be a number of things. Do you have issues with allergies? Although I don’t have allergies I have acid reflux issues. Sleeping on an incline helps along with medication. Humidity can be a factor too. Maybe a sleep study would shed some light on things. Alyssa had some good suggestions too. Hope you can find a solution.

• anna

January 13, 2023 at 4:50 am

I’m sorry you are dealing with this, I know how annoying it is. In my case it all has to do with my sleeping position. Essentially, drool goes down the wrong pipe and a coughing fit wakes me up in the middle of the night. I tried different positions and found that it happens mostly when I lie on my side and my head is tilted too far backwards. I imagine this varies from person to person, so it’s basically trial and error for everyone. After I found my “sweet spot” I rarely have problems anymore. Hope you find yours soon.