SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Proper Diet Key to Managing SMA

• deann-r

September 22, 2018 at 2:56 pm

I’ve learned a lot over the past few years about SMA and diet. Still haven’t mastered it even with a feeding tube.

• ryan-berhar-2

September 23, 2018 at 10:00 pm

As is the case with pretty much everything associated with SMA, I believe that everyone must establish their own diet. Some of us can eat whatever with no issues, others can’t tolerate certain foods. This is why I reject one size fits all approaches. One thing that I will suggest is adding coconut water to your diet, because it has potassium. I had a hospitalization a few years ago due to potassium deficiency.

• deann-r

September 25, 2018 at 10:34 am

Don’t get me started on potassium!  During my hospital stay (twice) it was all over the map.  First they gave me potassium, then it was too high and  the stuff they give you to leech it out of your system is miserable.  Would much rather just have some in my diet than go through that again.

• adnan-hafizovic

September 25, 2018 at 10:23 am

I wanna give one advice,most of us have problem with anxiety,it is not good take pills for calming every day.In last few months I start to take every second day magnesium and it helps me with anxiety.

• michael-morale

September 26, 2018 at 12:16 pm

Most people say that you can eat a banana to get some potassium, but what a lot of people don’t realize is that an avocado has just as much potassium as a banana, if not more. When I was in the hospital with pneumonia a few weeks ago, my potassium was low. They gave me this bitter tasting drink that was supposed to improve the potassium level. I really think the only thing you did was to check my gag reflexes. Either way, look up foods on the Internet that are high in potassium because not everybody loves bananas like I do.

My physical therapist put me on a high-protein diet when I started with her in October of last year. I try to eat more chicken and fish because of the protein levels and I also drink a protein shake every day. Since I’m working out and trying to build more muscle, protein is essential and it should be part of everyone’s diet if they’re trying to build new muscle like I am. Protein is also essential because it helps rebuild muscle that you are tearing down during your workout. The only problem with protein is that it can also cause the person to get kidney stones, which is definitely been a problem of mind throughout my life. When I was in the hospital with pneumonia, they told me that I still have three kidney stones that they were unable to retrieve over a year ago when they blasted one of the kidney stones out of me. I know that I have a future date with either a surgeon to remove the kidney stone or a date where I’m going to give birth to another kidney stone the natural way. Either way if year’s screaming coming from the Texas area, it’ll probably be me.

• francesca-arcadu

September 29, 2018 at 1:44 am

I take magnesium too. It helps me with pain and anxiety.