SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Recap of My Cousin’s Wedding

• Recap of My Cousin’s Wedding

Posted by ryan-berhar on July 2, 2019 at 4:42 pm

Hey everyone, this weekend I traveled to La Grande, Oregon for my cousin’s wedding. It’s about a five hour drive, which is fairly long, though I know many of you traveled much further for the SMA conference haha. It was an awesome and memorable event. I was the best man, and my speech was well received. The weekend was not without its obstacles, however. The venue was sort of in the middle of nowhere at the end of a very windy road. I got rained on a bit during photos, but thankfully none of my equipment got damaged. The whether turned out beautifully for the wedding itself. These type of events are always physically taxing for me, as I don’t have my usual accommodations. It’s not much fun having to move heaven and earth just to take a leak, but that’s just how it goes sometimes.  I also couldn’t shower, but the basin from the SMA care package came in handy. Two of my other cousins, one of whom is two years old, were also along for the trip, so that complicated things some. It’s just hard for everyone to have their needs met in these situations. Overall, it was awesome, and I’m happy for my cousin above all else. Have you been to weddings in remote locations before? Did you face similar obstacles?

ryan-berhar replied 4 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • rachel-markley

July 10, 2019 at 1:33 pm

Hi Ryan! In 2015, I traveled from Houston to CO Springs for my cousin’s wedding. The rest of my family lives in Ohio so everyone was traveling quite a distance. We all rented an amazing, mostly accessible house with a breathtaking view. It was totally worth the insane planning! I didn’t know it was the last time I’d see my grandma alive and I’m so thankful for the memories.

• ryan-berhar

July 10, 2019 at 4:10 pm

Very cool. Glad you got to have that experience.