SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Restaurants becoming more wheelchair friendly

• Restaurants becoming more wheelchair friendly

Posted by jim-schneider on April 28, 2020 at 2:39 pm

The good news: the states that are allowing restaurants to reopen are requiring them to space their tables 6 to 10 feet apart.  Just think be able to roll right through in your wheelchair without half the people having to move so you can get through.  Finally be able to get to that good table by the window with a view of the lake.  Sounds great except for the bad news: won’t be going to any restaurants for quite awhile as long as coved-19 is around.

deann-r replied 3 years, 12 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

April 28, 2020 at 2:44 pm

Wow, great point! Although, like you said, going to restaurants in the foreseeable future doesn’t seem to be our safest option. Who knows! Maybe once the vaccine is out, restaurants will continue to operate this way. I know my clunky wheelchair and I sure would appreciate it.

• halsey-blocher

April 28, 2020 at 9:58 pm

How lovely that would be. I hate having to ask people to move for me to squeeze through. However, I will also not be going to any restaurants any time soon. It’d be nice if some places decided to keep things that way.

• deann-r

April 29, 2020 at 9:56 am

It would be nice if this trend of more space continues.  As Halsey mentioned I’m not planning to eat in a restaurant any time soon.