SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Sleep Solutions

• Sleep Solutions

Posted by deann-r on March 18, 2019 at 10:16 am

Throughout the years I’ve tried just about everything to be comfortable at night. The list includes a waterbed, feather bed, air exchange pad, finger foam, gel pad and memory foam.  I’ve always gone back to the memory foam although I did love the waterbed.  Having my spine fused exasperates the pressure points on my hips, shoulders and tailbone so I need something soft.  Typically I turn over once during the night.  My only issue with the memory foam is that over time it forgets to return to position causing what looks like a sinkhole in my bed.  Also once it looses it’s mind it’s just not as comfortable.  Usually once a year I get it replaced.  As with everything it seems to be taking it’s sweet time getting processed.  What have you found to be your best sleep solutions?  Any questions on the other products I’ve tried?

adnan-hafizovic replied 5 years ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

March 18, 2019 at 2:09 pm

DeAnn, I know exactly what you mean. I’ve had many issues sleeping and getting comfortable over the years as well. I dealt with bad sleep apnea when I was a teenager.

I just use a regular hospital bed, and then my caregivers or parents shift me a few times a night. Wearing my BiPAP regularly does help tremendously. It’s annoying and it takes time to get used to, but it’s worth it. My pulmonologist had to get on my case to get me to use it and my cough assist, but I’m glad he did.

• halsey-blocher

March 18, 2019 at 10:02 pm

I use memory foam as well. Unfortunately, it does have to be replaced, but I find it sometimes helps flip it from time to time. It’s the best option I’ve tried.

• adnan-hafizovic

March 19, 2019 at 9:31 am

Whatever we take the mattress, we will again have the need to turn someone on the other side.