SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA SMA and Body Modifications

• halsey-blocher

March 27, 2019 at 9:46 pm

This is a great one! It doesn’t happen as much anymore, but people used to often think my tattoo was temporary. I think it’s partially because I also get mistaken for being about 16, and also because a lot of people seem to think tattoos just don’t go with my sweet and smiling personality. For the record, it a pink and blue butterfly, so it fits pretty well. I always love when people ask about it though as it’s very significant to me, and people usually understand why I have better when they know the story. And I can also proudly say that I’m tougher than a big tough guy. He cried the whole time. I didn’t really flinch.

• kevin-schaefer

March 28, 2019 at 10:23 am

Having witty comebacks is good for these scenarios. Also, on the personality note, I love how there are people who still think that tattoos are only for bikers, punk rockers, etc. A lot of people have tattoos today, regardless of personality or interests.

• halsey-blocher

March 28, 2019 at 8:51 pm

I have several friends who are still surprised when mine emerges from under my sleeve again in the summer. It’s actually pretty amusing.

• ryan-berhar

March 27, 2019 at 11:39 pm

I guess we tend to be pretty small to be fair, but the whole misperceived age thing can be annoying. Beard helps haha. (Ladies, please don’t do that)

• kevin-schaefer

March 28, 2019 at 10:26 am

The beard does help, but even then I’ll still get called “buddy” by strangers and talked to like I’m five.

• deann-r

March 28, 2019 at 10:05 am

I haven’t experienced these type of issues. Even though I’m short I’m more chunky so never was mistaken for younger, except for my dad who thought I was always his little girl. A lot of it also has to do with living in a small town I think. People either know me, or don’t dare question the girl in the wheelchair. In my case I probably could’ve gotten away with more than I ever dared try. The only negative response to my tattoos is why I would want one. Why not? I say my lifespan is shorter anyway so it’s not like I’ll get sick of it.

• kevin-schaefer

March 28, 2019 at 10:27 am

Hehe that last line is great!