SMA News Forums Forums Life Advice and Transitions Dating and Marriage SMA, disabilities, and dating

• SMA, disabilities, and dating

Posted by sma-news-today-moderator on May 10, 2018 at 9:11 am

Many people have questions when it comes to dating with a disability. Columnist Brianna Albers discusses a recent therapy session, where she discovered that perhaps dating isn’t so much about being seen, but being chosen.

Read “Dating and Disability – to Be Chosen“, Brianna’s column about dating and love to learn more about it.

Do you share Brianna’s opinion? Would you like to share any dating experience with us?

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • kevin-schaefer

May 10, 2018 at 12:25 pm

I can definitely relate to Brianna, and I’ve written about this subject as well. I think we still live in a society where people with disabilities aren’t seen as dateable by many people. It’s getting better, but that stigma is still a thing unfortunately, and it can make it hard for people like us who want to find romance.

I think it does help reduce stereotypes when we just go out on dates and sign up for dating sites. I have a close female friend who I see one-on-one a lot, and it’s encouraging to me when we’re out and people don’t look at us differently. I’ve also danced with girls at weddings and such, and I think it’s good to just take steps toward overcoming that anxiety.