• Posted by deann-r on May 6, 2019 at 12:08 pm

This may be a silly question, but is there a reason smoke alarms are on the ceiling? I only ask because every so often the high pitched low battery alarm starts beeping and I either have to call a neighbor or wait for my PCA to come to change out the batteries. Of course that’s after I let my dog outside as his quivering indicates the sound is unpleasant to his ears. My PCA is scheduled to come in about an hour, so today I’m opting to wait. If it was at my level I could at least finagle the battery out, but I’ve only seen smoke alarms in high places. Maybe I just need to replace the batteries on regular intervals to avoid this? Have you guys seen lower alarms?

deann-r replied 4 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • patrick-lenihan

May 6, 2019 at 1:38 pm

The reason smoke alarms are on ceilings is because smoke rises.  It only spreads out when it can’t rise anymore. If the smoke detector is low, it won’t sense the smoke until the room is full of smoke. Fire safety officials recommend changing smoke detector batteries every time you change the clocks.

• deann-r

May 6, 2019 at 5:54 pm

Ok, so I get the whole smoke rises thing. Guess I didn’t really comprehend that it disperses as it rises, so it would get to the alarm quicker that way. I’ll just have to change the batteries more often. It’s just annoying that it has to be on the ceiling.