SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Taking Care of Your Mental Health

• deann-r

June 10, 2018 at 9:48 am

It’s always difficult for me to wrap my head around how people can get to such a dark place they would choose to end their own life.  Although I don’t understand it, doesn’t mean I can’t be compassionate.  Having SMA can certainly bring on feelings of hopelessness and helplessness.  If you’ve watched my Dose of DeAnn vlogs you’ll probably know I’m a proponent of just doing what you can.  No matter how small that may be, it really does help to focus on what you can do instead of what you can’t.  For example today it took me 3 attempts to turn my laptop on.  Sure, I could dwell on the fact it took me longer or that I almost didn’t get it, but I did it so yay me!  If I couldn’t do it, that’s okay too. I would just do something else until someone was around to get it. Dwelling on what I can’t do can definitely put a damper on the day.

When there are so many things we can’t do it can get overwhelming.  So many people can do so much more than I can.  Sure I can be a little envious of that, yet I can also be happy for them.  With so many varying degrees of SMA it’s hard not to compare yourself with others even others with the same type as you.  Although we can learn from others please don’t judge yourself by what others can do.  Everyone is unique, and with that comes varying degrees of abilities.  My best advise…Be You!

• kevin-schaefer

June 10, 2018 at 5:15 pm

I totally agree. Focusing on the things I can do, even the little and seemingly insignificant tasks, really helps me. Just being able to use my JACO robotic arm to operate my TV remote or move a book closer to me is liberating for me.

Also, like I said in my column on this subject, keeping my mind occupied with things like books and podcasts is a big part of my daily life. I know that those things aren’t cures for people with serious mental health issues, but they do help nonetheless.

• esther-collington

June 12, 2018 at 9:46 am

I’m going for my first  counselling session on Thursday. I’m abit nervous. My breathing, health and strength have all got much worse in the last 6 months and I’m finding it really hard so am hoping it will help though not sure how.

• deann-r

June 12, 2018 at 3:12 pm

I can totally relate to the sudden decline. Happened to me a few years ago.  Counseling is probably a good thing. As with anything you’ll be nervous until you know what to expect. You can always give us a shout out on the forums too.  Collectively we’ve all gone through a lot.

• adnan-hafizovic

June 13, 2018 at 8:35 am

you mentioned recent suicide of celebrities,and I must admit only time that I thinked about suicide when was war in Bosnia and when my town was surrounded by Serbian and Croatian armies. In that time we havent food and enough weapons and it was heavy situation.If they came in my cities they ll kill a lot of innocent people.And if they come in my city I thought to kill myself.Luckily we manage to defense our city and thanks to US president Bill Clinton.After that I never thinked about suicide,and I never take pills for calmdown.But last years I start to feel little anxiety,similar like you Esther,so my doctor gave me Valium and I dont take it in big doses,but it helps me.

• kevin-schaefer

June 26, 2018 at 11:19 am

Counseling is just a really good tool for anyone, whether you have serious mental health issues or you just want to talk to someone. It takes courage to go the first time, but I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who has regretted going to a counselor/therapist. Everyone has to deal with hardships and situations that can be mentally and emotionally draining. Therapy isn’t a perfect solution, but it certainly helps. Esther I commend you for going.

• michael-morale

June 26, 2018 at 8:45 am

I’ve gone through very difficult times in my life, as most of you have, and while I’ve never been so bad that I wanted to take my own life, I have had friends and even a family member that have taken their own life. Like DeAnn said, I don’t understand how somebody could get in that dark space of their life to where they feel that suicide is their only alternative, I’m also compassionate enough to understand that while this has never happened to me, it is a topic that many people struggle with at certain points in their life.

One of the hardest things that I have found is realizing that you need help and being strong enough to actually ask for that help. I can only assume that those who never asked for help feel that they would either be ridiculed or feel weak about needing help, or they asked for help and no one responded to their request. Either way, if you are ever in a situation where you feel that there is no hope, the best thing that you can do for yourself is to allow others to help you through this difficult situation.

• kevin-schaefer

June 26, 2018 at 11:23 am

I’m sorry that happened, but thanks for sharing. It’s definitely a hard subject to wrap your mind around.

And I totally agree that many people are afraid to ask for help. This applies to having SMA as well, and the physical toll it takes on you. It’s hard and extremely awkward to ask for help for something like eating or moving your arms, especially when you have to ask a stranger. Ultimately though, asking for help is an important step. Thanks for bringing this up.