• Two Questions

Posted by survivinglife on May 20, 2021 at 6:09 pm

I have two questions this time. Choose which one you want to answer. Lol.

1. How do you guys brush your teeth? I have been struggling really bad with brushing my teeth cuz I can barely reach my face. Any tips?

2. In July I will no longer be just pretending to be 22 (hehe) and I need to make a list of things I want. I mostly want books but I always feel the need to include things that will help me or like exercise me while also being fun. But I can’t think of anything. Any suggestions?

survivinglife replied 2 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • kelly-miller

May 20, 2021 at 7:04 pm

Someone has been brushing my teeth for me for the last 27 yrs. It was first my mom and now my husband. We use an Oral B electric toothbrush, the one with the round head b/c I feel like it fits in my mouth. There are several kinds and shapes of electric toothbrushes out there, and they’re not expensive. Find one you like for somebody to help you. You’ll be surprised how great your mouth will feel!

• alyssa-silva

May 20, 2021 at 7:28 pm

As far as gifts go, does automating your home sound beneficial to you? Things like turning on lights, adjusting thermostats, operating the TV, etc. I always ask for a gadget like this around Christmas time!

• deann-r

May 20, 2021 at 8:01 pm

Brushing teeth kind of depends on how much arm strength you do have. I have an automatic toothpaste dispenser and an electric toothbrush. When someone props my arms on the sink I can still reach to brush my teeth. I spit into a little Dixie cup. Like Kelly though, no harm in having some help if it’s getting too difficult. Maybe an electric toothbrush could be on your list if you don’t have one already.

I just ordered one of those silicone popper fidget toys that are all the rage. Thought it would be fun and work as therapy. It was under $10 so reasonable to ask for as a gift.  Happy almost birthday!

• survivinglife

May 25, 2021 at 4:35 pm

Thank you guys – I mean, gals! Lol. My mom said she looked into toothbrushes for people with cerebral palsy but she doesn’t think any of them would fit in my mouth. Not only do I have a really small mouth, but it barely even opens anymore. Another reason why I struggle so much with brushing my teeth…

I have an Echo Dot but my mom hasn’t set it up for helping with the lights and whatnot yet.  It has a hard enough time understanding me too. But I do have fun with it when I’m laying down, which has been a lot lately since I have been struggling so much and I currently have a wound on my buttocks. I can’t do anything else laying down cuz I can’t really move my arms.

What about games? Playing games is a good exercise. What kind of games do you guys like to play?

• alyssa-silva

May 26, 2021 at 8:42 am

Hey Crystal, do you have a smartphone? I lay down most of the day, so I use an app called WiFi Mouse which acts as a mouse for my laptop. All I have to move is one finger to move the mouse and type. It’s really been a game-changer for me since sitting up for long periods of time is difficult for me. Not sure if this would help you, but you don’t have to move your arms at all! For reference, I have an iPhone, but the app is compatible with android too.

• survivinglife

May 26, 2021 at 11:01 am

Awe I don’t have a phone at all. Besides I don’t have much luck with electronics. This is my 4th tablet. Lol.

• deann-r

May 26, 2021 at 11:32 am

Quip might be a toothbrush brand you might like.  It worked well for my small mouth.  Battery operated, so a little less expensive than rechargeable ones.  I think you can find them at Target.

• survivinglife

May 26, 2021 at 12:48 pm

Thank you! I’ll definitely check it out!